Thursday, July 24, 2008

Back to Texas

It was Monday, July 21st and the long journey for Jiajing and I was about to begin. She, her parents and I left my apartment and headed off to the airport; a trip that would last for 30 hours. Traffic to the airport was heavy and we had little time to spare, but we, after saying our goodbye’s, were finally in the air headed toward Shanghai and our first experience with our Father. I had asked him to show us his hand on this trip, especially for building Jiajing’s faith. When you ask that kind of prayer be sure you are prepared for an experience to follow.

We arrived in Shanghai minus one bag. Jiajing’s three bags made it, but my only bag was not there. Somehow it didn’t get on the plane in Wuhan. We filled a lost baggage claim, and headed to the bus going to the international terminal. As we stood there on the bus I felt a great sense of peace and felt the need to explain to Jiajing that our Father was in charge and that he knew where the bag was and that he would take care of the problem. Just then my cell phone rang and Jiajing answered. The bag had been placed on another airline and was there at the terminal. I felt led to get off the bus and retrieve the three bags located in the lower bus storage. As I closed the lower storage door, the bus pulled away and we went back in the out door to try to figure how to get back to where we had filled the lost baggage claim. We got about as far as we could go and stood there wondering what to do next when Jiajing looks up and exclaimed, “There is our bag!” The person who had called Jiajing on the cell phone had just come through a door and was wondering where to go to find us. Jiajing had only told him that we were on the bus headed to the international terminal. As Jiajing mentioned the luggage, he happens to see us and with a surprised look came to us and gave us our fourth piece of luggage. I then realized that our Father had arranged this to show us his hand. I explained this to Jiajing and she had her first lesson of the trip in faith building. There would be another.

With our four bags for check-in and our four carryon’s, we finally arrived at the international terminal, checked in and cleared security. The lost bag issue used up most of our wait time and we soon found us on the plane headed for Chicago. Through all of this Jiajing kept in touch with her mom, increasing the drama for her.

In Chicago I cleared customs in record time, but I could see it would be some time for Jiajing. I went to baggage claim and finally found all four bags and took them back to the outdoor from customs to wait for Jiajing. To our relief she finally cleared. With our bags we went back through baggage claim and headed toward baggage transfer and terminal transportation. On our way through baggage claim an older Chinese couple, looking lost approached us for help. Realizing they were also headed to DFW I invited them to follow us, realizing that they had to hurry to make their flight, which was the one before ours. The wife was not comfortable having me, a foreigner, take charge and hurry them along put up a real fuss, but her husband dragged her along. I got them through baggage transfer and finally onto airport transportation to the domestic terminal, and through security. Jiajing and I took them to their gate just as they started boarding and we then went to our gates to wait for about an hour for our flight. As we waited we heard an announcement that our gate had been changed to another wing of the terminal so we went from one end of ours to the other end of that one. By now it was about time for us to board. Soon the call came for group one to board and we were on our way. I fly enough to make me gold status, allowing me and someone with me to board early. We were now finally in the air to DFW and more of our adventure.

We arrive and head to baggage claim and immediately pick up three bags. Yes that is right, only three bags. This time one of Jiajing’s bags was missing. We file a lost baggage claim for the second time and head to McKinney and to bed. It was 1:30 am before I turned in and two for Jiajing. We slept for a few short hours and began a very busy day. I called to check on the lost bag, but it had not been found. Late in the afternoon they called and told me it had been located and would soon be delivered. It finally arrived at 11:45 pm, which was 12:45 am body time. I tried to get to sleep, finally did, but for only four hours. Jiajing hopefully is still sleeping as I write this. She will be up in time for us to begin another long day as we drive four hours to her school for a tour and some information and then back another four hours.