Note: This entry was posted on July 21, which was our planned travel day to the US. Pray that our visas cleared and that we are indeed traveling or have already arrived.
It was Monday morning, July 14, and I felt restless and wanted to get out for some adventure, but I had things to do and so I put it off. As the day passed the restlessness would not go away so I decided to go on Tuesday. I sent an email to Jiajing telling her my plans, but I did not invite her to go along. She emailed me back and thought it was a good idea and wanted to know if she could join me. I wrote back and said sure and indicated where we could meet. She emailed me back and asked if her mother could come along as she was restless and wanted more time with her daughter. I said sure because with her mom along I knew this would be an adventure.
We met at 7 am near the river ferry and then took it across the river to a famous walking street. They had not had breakfast, so that was the first item on the agenda after crossing the river. We went to a roadside place – see picture below – and got a box of noodles; a standard Chinese breakfast.

As we sat at our table I looked around and saw where the locals get some of their food. Want some fresh meat? There it is!

How about some veggies to go with the meat? They've got that too. In the US we would probably put them on our plate in separate spots, but here in China the meat would be cut up in small pieces and mixed in with the veggies along with some seasoning and placed in the center of the table that we would all eat from. When I get back home I really miss food prepared and eaten this way.

After breakfast we walked over to the walking street.

From there to a large shopping area that specializes in all kinds of pets, I mean all kinds, their food and other things you might want around the outside of the house. It was quite a contrast to our pet shops, farm stores, and landscape centers.

We walked through and out the other end and headed to the riverside park to walk, talk, take pictures, and enjoy our time together. The more I spend time with Jiajing and her mom, the deeper they take me into their culture, especially where they took me after the park experience.
Come back tomorrow for the park episode.
It was Monday morning, July 14, and I felt restless and wanted to get out for some adventure, but I had things to do and so I put it off. As the day passed the restlessness would not go away so I decided to go on Tuesday. I sent an email to Jiajing telling her my plans, but I did not invite her to go along. She emailed me back and thought it was a good idea and wanted to know if she could join me. I wrote back and said sure and indicated where we could meet. She emailed me back and asked if her mother could come along as she was restless and wanted more time with her daughter. I said sure because with her mom along I knew this would be an adventure.
We met at 7 am near the river ferry and then took it across the river to a famous walking street. They had not had breakfast, so that was the first item on the agenda after crossing the river. We went to a roadside place – see picture below – and got a box of noodles; a standard Chinese breakfast.

As we sat at our table I looked around and saw where the locals get some of their food. Want some fresh meat? There it is!

How about some veggies to go with the meat? They've got that too. In the US we would probably put them on our plate in separate spots, but here in China the meat would be cut up in small pieces and mixed in with the veggies along with some seasoning and placed in the center of the table that we would all eat from. When I get back home I really miss food prepared and eaten this way.

After breakfast we walked over to the walking street.

From there to a large shopping area that specializes in all kinds of pets, I mean all kinds, their food and other things you might want around the outside of the house. It was quite a contrast to our pet shops, farm stores, and landscape centers.

We walked through and out the other end and headed to the riverside park to walk, talk, take pictures, and enjoy our time together. The more I spend time with Jiajing and her mom, the deeper they take me into their culture, especially where they took me after the park experience.
Come back tomorrow for the park episode.
