Our boat finally arrived and we were ready for a time of relaxation and fellowship while enjoying a Chinese meal as we were rowed across part of the lake and back.

We sat and talked for awhile, enjoying the light breeze as the day heated up to be a scorcher. Around 11:30 Jiajing’s mom opened up a big plastic bag, not an ice chest like we would have, and brought out lunch consisting of chicken feet, pork slices, beef and egg yolks in a sauce, lotus root spiced very hot, white and brown Chinese rolls, and warm rice soup. That doesn’t sound like an American picnic, but it was good and we had a great time.
Look at the picture above, notice that the oars are crossed and also notice that the person paddling pushes the oars instead of pulling. In some of these boats the oar anchors are higher allowing the oarsman to stand. Also notice the tiles on the seat back. These tile mats are also used on beds in the summer to sleep on to provide a cooler environment. Lying on cloth makes you warm, but tile is cool. For me I pay the cost and turn on the AC and enjoy some softness, but if energy prices keep going up I may very well adjust to more Chinese ways of living and so may you.

Another boat like ours is just going under the bridge on its return to port is seen above. The water does not look too clean. I don’t think I would like to swim in it.

East Lake is pretty good size and has several parts formed by highways crossing it. It is a very nice place to come and relax. It was here that I learned that Jiajing got her visa to the US.
We finished our boat ride and headed for the car. As we drove onto the street the clouds opened up and for the next 40 minutes, dumped an enormous amount of water. If that had happened while we were on the lake we would have been soaked.
PS. If you are reading this after 8:30 pm on Sunday, July 20th EDST, Jiajing and I should be on our way to the US. Pray for a good trip and that we don’t have any problems at customs. July 22 through the 25 will be unreal for me because of my scheduled activities and travel. Once I get to Arizona I can relax for a few days. I will try to find time to at least post a short blog entry to keep you informed of what is happening. This adventure will not slow down until Jiajing goes to school on August 20th and then on September 25 my son and I head back to China for the fall season. He will stay for a week and I will stay for two months.

We sat and talked for awhile, enjoying the light breeze as the day heated up to be a scorcher. Around 11:30 Jiajing’s mom opened up a big plastic bag, not an ice chest like we would have, and brought out lunch consisting of chicken feet, pork slices, beef and egg yolks in a sauce, lotus root spiced very hot, white and brown Chinese rolls, and warm rice soup. That doesn’t sound like an American picnic, but it was good and we had a great time.
Look at the picture above, notice that the oars are crossed and also notice that the person paddling pushes the oars instead of pulling. In some of these boats the oar anchors are higher allowing the oarsman to stand. Also notice the tiles on the seat back. These tile mats are also used on beds in the summer to sleep on to provide a cooler environment. Lying on cloth makes you warm, but tile is cool. For me I pay the cost and turn on the AC and enjoy some softness, but if energy prices keep going up I may very well adjust to more Chinese ways of living and so may you.

Another boat like ours is just going under the bridge on its return to port is seen above. The water does not look too clean. I don’t think I would like to swim in it.

East Lake is pretty good size and has several parts formed by highways crossing it. It is a very nice place to come and relax. It was here that I learned that Jiajing got her visa to the US.
We finished our boat ride and headed for the car. As we drove onto the street the clouds opened up and for the next 40 minutes, dumped an enormous amount of water. If that had happened while we were on the lake we would have been soaked.
PS. If you are reading this after 8:30 pm on Sunday, July 20th EDST, Jiajing and I should be on our way to the US. Pray for a good trip and that we don’t have any problems at customs. July 22 through the 25 will be unreal for me because of my scheduled activities and travel. Once I get to Arizona I can relax for a few days. I will try to find time to at least post a short blog entry to keep you informed of what is happening. This adventure will not slow down until Jiajing goes to school on August 20th and then on September 25 my son and I head back to China for the fall season. He will stay for a week and I will stay for two months.
