Thursday, May 1, 2008

More Trees – Part 3

There are some miscellaneous pictures I wish to finish up this series with. The first picture shows a tree that was just placed in the ground, braced and wrapped with a straw rope to protect it from the sun and to reduce evaporation. I find it very interesting to see how they cut back the limbs, the way they brace the tree, and how neat the wrapping is. I will continue to watch and see how it fills out with leaves. I am sure you will see another picture of this tree at a later time to show progress in growth.


One year ago, at a nearby university, there was a row of mature trees that were too large to remain near a new building that was just built as their branches severely rubbed the building. One day all their branches were cut off leaving just a row of trunks. My first impression was that they would surely die, but then one day I noticed some growth. I thought it so amazing how these trees were determined to continue living by sending out buds to become small branches with leaves to interact with the sun so they could continue to live. What an example for us in our relationship to the Son.


One month later I went back and found the results shown in the following picture.


I really didn’t feel like walking for an hour this morning to get a recent picture, but it was worth it to my readers to show what a year can do to trees that are determined to grow. I can only imagine that one day they will again be too large, only to be cut back to start all over. When adversity cuts you back do you have the will to get up and go on with life?


No comments: