Saturday, May 31, 2008

Desire – Part 7

As I thought about this lack of assurance a passage from Colossians came to mind. It is a prayer of Paul, located at Colossians 1:9 – 14. A careful observation reveals two parts to this prayer. In the first part, Paul is asking for three things for the Colossians: knowledge of God’s will, walking in a worthy manner, and strengthened with power. In the second part of the prayer he offers thanks for three things: that they have been qualified, delivered from the domain of darkness, and transferred to the kingdom of his Son. I then realized that my focus has been balanced between asking for and giving of thanks. Jesus said, “Ask and you shall receive” (Matt. 7:7 – 8) because God will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4 – 5). I may see evidence leading toward this visa being granted, but the assurance part of my faith is lacking and as a result so is my thanks for his provision of what I hope for. I felt that God was telling me, as I lay there on my bed, that the assurance I was lacking would be found in my offering of thanks.

In 1 Thess. 5:18, I am reminded to give thanks in everything because that is God’s will. Is faith demanding that I give thanks for that which I hope for, for that which is unseen? Is it faith that allows me to give thanks when my mind tells me to stay on the sideline and fret? Is it faith that takes me through the fear of being embarrassed and humbled if the request is not granted. Faith rests on a word from God. He says, “Ask, and it shall be given to you” (Matt. 7:7). Faith allows you to enjoy the future as you project into it. Emmy, her parents and I have talked about that future and we are very excited for its possibilities, but are we only speculating or do we believe?

Please pray for me as I try to get my mind around this assurance aspect of faith. There are many people who are watching how I live this out. I really want the Lord to use me in this to his glory.

Father, may I have the mind and the attitude of Christ in this matter. Through the kindness of your grace, may I be able to surrender everything to you and with thanksgiving may I allow faith to make a present situation out of a future reality.

The Lord is a God of the impossible. Surely this visa, which is a big thing for me, is a very small thing to him. I confess that my fear is that it is so small to him that he might just overlook it. I know that without faith we cannot please God. Lord, I need more faith.