Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Special Day – Part 2

After our naps, Emmy, her mom, and I gathered in the living room. Her dad spent time close by at the computer. It has become so easy and natural for the three of us to talk. It is something I can’t explain and it is something that is so beautiful and so warm and tender and so much like God would have it. We took pictures to remember this, but then Emmy’s mom did something that drew me deeper into this family and deeper in love with them. She wanted me to really know Emmy as a granddaughter. She started with a picture that really embarrassed Emmy and gradually worked up through the years.

Her tenth birthday was special and they had a professional book of pictures prepared. It was beautiful, I mean it was beautiful. In this cultural context, she was my granddaughter and as her grandpa I felt the emotion of this moment and had trouble keeping a dry eye. I long so much for my family to understand this.
Below are four pictures taken in their apartment.





I was asked if I would stay for supper. I did and had another beautiful meal, not from leftovers either. After we ate we talked some more and then near seven thirty they took me home. I arrived home around eight thirty and was accompanied by Emmy and her mom to the entry of my apartment building. We said goodbye with an invitation to get together again after June 8th when Emmy finishes her exams. I go to my apartment and get ready for bed, but I just lay there thinking about the day and the visa interview coming up later in June. I will share my thoughts in the next two blog entries.