I just received this email from Lisa and am deeply burdened for her. Please read this and pray for her. Just imagine being in her shoes as you do. Her job also affects my work here.
Prayer request number ...hmmmmmm.....9999? This is huge folks. Much to my dismay, HUST English Department has informed me that they will not renew my contract next year. This is a great shock to the students and to me and all my colleagues cannot believe it is true. The only reason they state is that they are hiring "new blood" with more qualifications, but most of my Chinese friends don't thinks that's the reason. They think it is because of the cancer treatment expense on the policy ...perhaps the premium went up. Well, one thing is for sure, I'll never get a true answer, so there's no sense spinning my wheels about it.
What I am going to try to do is see if I can be rehired at HUST in another department, such as the International Business department which uses English teachers. I've already got a group of foreign expats asking for my resume to forward to their schools, or hand out... it's how things like this are done here.
I will be rather candid with everyone as I always try to be. I am hurt and shocked and scared all in one big bundle. Last night was a sleepless one -- I cried more tears over this news than I did the cancer! The reason is because I so truly care about the students I teach. Also, I'm scared. It will or could be difficult for me to get another job in China because I'm still being treated with chemotherapy for cancer -- and I have to pass a physical. My chemotherapy treatments last until October 2010 -- with no contract renewal after July, I'm without a contract and no coverage.
One of my good Chinese friends said, "HUST made a miserable decision". I will not bad mouth or be bitter about this situation though -- there's a Design in it somewhere although right now I feel as if I'm sliding on a slippery slope to oblivion. I haven't the energy some days to do a proper job hunt. If I come home to America I haven't a home, a car, insurance coverage would be impossible for a pre-existing condition as huge as this, and employment could be a challenge. I think the cancer drama scared the school and that's the real reason behind their decision. It was just one too many "things" in light of last summers' passport dilemma and almost not making it here.
On the other hand, had I not made it back to China, I wouldn't have had the excellent care I've had for the cancer because it was in me when I was in America all last summer. So that's a little consolation.
So, well, you know the treatments have to continue until October 2010 SOMEHOW and I haven't a clue what to do in a real-life, day-to-day sense.
It was almost impossible for me to teach two classes today knowing this is "it" possibly. The students said I looked tired -- I attributed it to the chemo. No sense in getting them in a dither about it -- they have enough pressures and worries and it's disrespectful to the school.
1) Pray for a new opening specifically at HUST in another department, so my coverage can continue at least possibly until October and an extension of my visa;
2) If not to be there, well, somewhere else. But the question is the continued coverage for the chemotherapy at least until October.
I am considering dropping the chemo treatments until I find another job. I can't imagine going into an interview sick with nausea and hair falling out everywhere. Not a good impression, eh? I'm a bit worn out from EVERYTHING you know -- this just feels like the proverbial nail on the ol' coffin and I just can't think clearly right this moment. I'm too tired.

No comments:
Post a Comment