I had never had an experience like this before. I had just finished my Saturday evening meal at a small restaurant and was on my way home. I knew the route I would take around an older residential area located here. I have taken it many times, but tonight as I came to an alley into this area, I felt this hand in the area of the back of my neck and it noticeably drew me into the alley. I sensed it was God’s hand as I felt his presence as I understood he wanted me to go with him into this area for a prayer walk I probably will long remember.
We walked straight into the heart of the area to what looked like a dead end, but at the very end there was an opening to the right into a very narrow alley. His hand gently guided me into it. It was like a small canyon between two walls of buildings. The sense of being with God and in prayer with him was uncanny. We walked together in an area I would consider forbidden to me alone. It was like being in a different world, but with him it was at this time ok.
We continued down this long alley and finally there was an opening to the right into a larger space where more people were gathered, none of which looked like me, having some social time together. The hand guided me through their midst to another alley where I was to turn again to the right. I could see an opening at the end that would take me back out to my original route.
As I continued my walk home, I pondered over the experience I had just had and considered what I was to learn from it. Listed below are three of those points.
First, God wants us to be available to walk with him in places we would and should not go alone. We should always be willing to take some risk with him when it is clear that is his will. For the western mind we can often rationalize to do nothing. It is safer.
Second, never go into an area like this with a camera or anything that gives the appearance of exposing their lifestyle to others better than they. Try to dress down to as close to them as you can and move through the area with a sense of direction. I was there for a prayer walk with God and nothing else.
Third, compared to them I am filthy rich, but that filth of mine requires that I need a savior just as they do. When it comes to our sin, the playing field is level. In reality, without Jesus Christ I am no better than they.
God took me into their world that evening so that I could better understand those who live in that section of the city and give me a better understanding of how incredibly rich and blessed I am in Him. He also gave me an incredibly real experience with him and now I hunger for more. His hand was so real to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment