Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Finally

It is Saturday July 31 and we are almost ready to put siding on the front of the house. David finished up the electrical and the water line while I toweled a special compound containing fibers onto the exposed block wall. That took us up to lunch time. After lunch our tractor with the backhoe was transferred from the retaining wall project to this project. It gets moved around from family to family who has work for it. We will use it to clean up the brick piles and remove some old sidewalk. We also need to clean up the yard where the underground electrical service was put in. During my spare time I picked out 300 bricks and cleaned off the mortar. My brother wants 500 bricks for a job he is doing at his place. He had already gotten 200.

David went to work on the support pieces for the soffit and I used the tractor and moved the old bricks, blocks and mortar to the trash pile. As I finished that work I got set up to cut soffit pieces for David; seen in the following picture.

The next picture shows David installing the soffit pieces. It took 64 pieces to cover the length of the house.

Here we are at the end of the day and all we have left to do is to install the starter strip and the removal of the old dryer vent. Once that is done we can start putting up siding, which we plan to finish by Monday evening.

I think the house looks pretty good so far. Plans are to add eight inches of soil at the wall and flare it out into the yard. There are also plans to build a small deck at the front entrance with stairs at the right end. I am supposed to think about its design when I can’t sleep at night.

I JUST REALIZED THAT WE WILL BE READY TO BUILD THAT DECK ON TUESDAY!! WHERE ARE MY PLANS?

No comments: