I find it so much more difficult to remain close to God in the States than I do in China. I notice this every time I return. I also notice it takes some time to regain that closeness when I return. I also notice it is harder to walk by faith here than it is in China. Why do you suppose that is?
If you fell in love with someone and wanted to know them better, what would you have to do? You may be thinking that everyone knows the answer. If they know the answer then why does God seem so distant for so many Christians in America? Why is “walk by faith” usually a second option behind “walk by sight” in the life of an American Christian?
I have thought long about this and have decided it comes down to one thing: distractions. There are so many things that distract us or demand out attention here that one doesn’t have in China. Simply, by owning some of the things I do require that I spend time with them. To not do so is considered neglect, like not mowing your lawn. I could hire someone to do it, but then I must work at something else to earn money to pay the one mowing the grass. Think about how you spend your time and then consider how much time you have set aside for God. When it comes to decision time, who or what wins? Is it the TV or God? Is it the Internet or God? Is it something else or God?
Consider the idea of walking by faith. If you read your Bible carefully you will find that God is a friend of the poor, not the rich. Why is that? The poor don’t have the wealth to protect themselves or to obtain what they need or want. They have to rely on God to protect them and to meet their needs and as they do their faith grows. Traveling to Asia I have come to realize that the best times of my life have been when I have found myself in situations that were out of my control and I had to humble myself before God and watch him provide for me. Those were incredible times and were real faith builders.
As I write this tonight, June 27, 2010, I have this hunger to go for a walk with Father by the Yangtze River and have conversation with him and feel his closeness. When I have quality time like this with him, I feel so loved by him. The world has nothing that can match this, but that is not the impression I get as I observe the American Christian and their love relationship with the world and its things.
Six years ago I stood on the high board ready for the dive into the water below. Had I backed away and said no to the invitation to go to China and not taken the dive, I would have missed so much of what God wanted me to experience in life. When we have the opportunity to dive and we don’t, something dies inside and we will never reach the potential we could have. God wants the best for us and that best requires closeness to him in obedience. It requires sacrifice. Is it time to close the gap?

No comments:
Post a Comment