Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Touched

I received an email from Lisa today, which tells you about her heart. Having known Lisa for more than two years, I can see where God has done some exciting work in her heart.

Dear Family & Friends ~

Today I called my nephew Jeffrey to sing "Happy Birthday" to him across the miles, when a knock sounded on the door. It was Xiao Lina, the lady in charge of international teachers at HUST [this is the university where Lisa teaches]. Clutched in one hand was a bag of goodies & drinks she so expended time upon to bring me as a "Spring Festival" token and of good will. In the other hand was my Christmas package from the singles' group and friends in Texas. The timing is perfect - two months ago it would been a holiday gift for Christmas alone (though still meaningful); today it is a reminder of Christmas and birthdays and any other festivity - but poignantly caring in action at a very important part of my faith walk in life.

I was overwhelmed (again) with Lina's gesture -- she has so many responsibilities, that the time alone spent shopping and bringing it to me was astounding. She is a Chinese government official somehow touched across cultural and professional boundaries seeking to surround me with goodwill and peace. Fifty years ago this wasn't possible. Today it is and is celebrated.

Of course, as soon as Xiao Lina left, I rushed to eagerly open my Christmas package from home! Wow! What goodies and surprises met my eyes!

When I look at the contents of these packages, I'm not only touched by the perfection of each choice crammed into a very small flat rate box but registers the careful packing of some of the contents into sandwich bags, repacking items into puzzle-perfect fitting gleaned from my Christmas "wish list" submitted a different lifetime ago before this health scare. I also think of the time it takes to go to the post office, and so many other infinitesimal details packed into one medium sized 12"x 12" container that flew across thousands of miles amongst strangers' packages as well to reach my home here in Wuhan, China.

Packed also in the box are many things not visible to the eyes, but printed on my heart for always. Items such as love, hope, courage, strength, countless prayers surrounding me to lift up my arms high above my head in triumph just around the corner over the illness. As I meander through life's current journey and bend in the road, and over this mountain God wants me to travel, these invisible yet tangible elements wrap my heart and soul into a cocoon of peace, joy, and love. It's as if I can celebrate the spirit of Christmas, birthday, Spring Festival and any other holiday which marks the year 2010.

It reminds me of the dozens of uplifting emails, countless phone calls, students organizing themselves to care for me soon, my international friends' smiles, the doctors who are learning for the first time (oh dear!) through me the intricacies of an American/English patient.

The love in the box represents life to me and the lives of all showering me with an intense, deep love and compassion and grace from Father for all here in China to marvel at and cause them to wonder (in a good way) how fathomless and lengthy this phenomenon is. You are all an inspiration to me.

Thank you all.

Love,

Lisa

I wrote back to Lisa and included the following: This email was especially heart touching. Even in a time of trial like you are going through, God is using you to touch the hearts of others and in the process he is transforming your heart into his.

No comments: