Now that we have all the side pieces prepared for the doors and drawer fronts, it is time to partially assemble each one. To show you what I mean, let me show you a picture later in the process.
I need to assemble three of the sides by gluing two of the joints. The fourth piece will be placed but not glued because it must be removed later, after a routing process, to insert the panel. The following picture shows the frame after the routing step.
Two of the four joints are glued. The opposite two are not, allowing the unglued piece to be removed after the bevel is added to the inside. After the bevel is added the frame is added to the pile.
After adding the bevel to all of the frames, the lose piece is removed and the panel measured, cut and inserted. The fourth piece is then glued into place completing the assembly process.
I next set the jointer to a thin cut and run one pass on each of the four sides of the doors and drawer fronts to remove any dings or bowing or joint roughness. The next step is to sand them in preparation for the primer. As I write this Thursday evening, the primer coat is on to dry overnight. If it is warn enough in the shop on Friday I plan to lightly sand the primer and add the first finish coat. By the end of the first week of February we should have the doors mounted and the drawer fronts set aside. I then will be faced with the challenge of how to build drawers with a dovetail joint. I have never done that before so we will all learn together.





No comments:
Post a Comment