Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blood Test

Here is some info on Lisa's life in China at this time.

Dear All ~

Today I had to do a routine blood test to check 'who knows what' about my blood counts or whatever -- anyway, the lab results came back normal and in the words of my doctor "very good". So, on February 8th, I check back into Xie He for Round #2 of chemo. Tomorrow I'm interviewing an English speaking Chinese lady for possible care-taking duties at the hospital. She sounds very sweet on the phone -- three guesses what her "English name" is? I'll tell you at the end of the email! Ha, ha, I love suspense.

One of my friends (not a student of mine but acquaintance from one of last year's school English Corners I attended once), Shirley (a medical student) has been helping me buy some nutritional supplements since I have this phobia about eating fish lookin' at me. Just can't do it. I need an important supplement, Omega 3, to strengthen the lining of my cell structure against the chemo, so after a quick email to my doctor, he told me where could buy fish oil supplements, which I did today.

Also, 'interviewed' for a part time job on the side which is proofreading childrens' books, of which can be done from a hospital bed. Hee, hee. So I can 'make some dough' while in the hospital! All as my strength allows of course. It dropped in my lap from nowhere based on a student recommendation to the publishing company who met one of their representatives at Mr. Mai's! It also includes recording sessions, voice characterizing the characters and working with voice actors.

I was very upfront with them about my physical limitations and that of course, my recovery is #1. They appreciated my frankness and the "interview" was more like a play -- they had me singing English nursery rhymes to see if I could sing, asking my advice on what is truly "conversational" or not in America, and of course the actual recording sessions. A whopping 200 Yuan (approximately $28 USD) /hour! This helps since I bailed after a few recording sessions from a few weeks ago when they got secretive as to when exactly to expect my pay and them paying me for "actual, literal recording time" not for prep work! I've always had a secret hope to "story tell" for a children's publication house in America; instead, it came from above to me from one of my current students' recommendations! Isn't that like, SO COOL? Most of all it was just a heck of a lot of real fun and laughing at the different "voices" they asked me to create and I just went for it!

The Wuhan Conference never materialized for me, mysteriously enough. None of the people who are attending from here contacted me so I didn't know where to go. Instead, however, I made new contacts!

Thinking of a you all every day!

Sincerely,

Lisa

PS -- Her name is ALICE! - Alice is the name of a close friend of Lisa.

No comments: