Monday, March 16, 2009

A Productive Day

On Friday as I was cutting out parts for other cabinets, I realized I was using up the lumber that was my temporary work table. My choice was to assemble the cabinets on the floor or get another sheet of plywood to use for my work table. I decided that my shop needed a permanent work table that could be taken down when not in use and stored next to a wall. First thing Saturday morning I went to Home Depot and got a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and two sheets of material to use as the base for my counter tops. The three sheets of material are seen in the first picture. The darker piece on the bottom is the plywood. There are two sheets of something laying on top of the plywood that I will use for counter tops. I will put a laminate on top to finish it off. Also seen in the picture are parts to build two more cabinets; a wall cabinet to the right of the refrigerator and the base cabinet to the left of the stove.

I will assemble the two cabinets on Monday or Wednesday. On Tuesday I plan to drive down to visit with Jiajing. She is having a rather difficult time now and I feel some time together would be helpful. During my spring break of my freshman year I was also having a difficult time and went to visit my aunt and uncle to talk things out.

The next picture shows the large corner base cabinet in the process of being assembled. The two ends have not been attached and it needs to be trimmed out and painted. This will take time, but it will all come together and look nice. The area under the window is where the sink goes. I have to locate and cut several holes for hot and cold water pipes and the drain pipe. I also have to make an opening for the electrical outlet.

The next picture shows all the things that must come through the back of the cabinet. This will require careful measurement.

Probably another two weeks before I can start on the counter tops.