Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Building Cabinets

Monday was a day I will long remember. Last night a mother and her four boys stayed overnight, but then left to visit some friends for several days. They will return on Thursday and stay until the first of next week. I sure enjoy having them here.

This morning, just before they left my cell phone rang and I noticed the caller was my younger sister. Even before I answered it I sensed the reason for the call. She called to tell me that our dad had just died. He had just one more month to go to celebrate his 95th birthday. That means I am now the oldest one in my family. If I live to the age of my dad that means I have only 22 more years to go. When you are at this end of life that length of time doesn't seem very long and you look at life in a different way.

I actually got quite a bit done today, but not much to show. I assembled parts of cabinets and painted parts of cabinets. I have several that have to be painted as I assemble them in order to paint the inside. Some of my work is shown in the following picture.

The unpainted cabinet is the last wall cabinet that goes to the right of the refrigerator. I will paint it before I take it upstairs. The painted pieces are parts of the small base cabinet that goes to the left of the stove. This cabinet is too small for shelves so I installed a center divider. The flat piece is one of the sides. After I apply one more coat of paint, the inside will be finished and I then can put on the two side panels and trim out the front. I will then paint the outside and take it upstairs and install it. This kind of a cabinet is used to store flat cooking sheets and work boards.

I am writing this late Monday afternoon. I am going out to dinner with family and friends tonight and tomorrow I will drive down to spend some time with Jiajing. This is a very lonesome time for her as most students are away on spring break. I wish she could have spent the week with my family but it just didn't work out this time. I will be back on the job Wednesday and Thursday, so maybe I will have something to show on Friday.