Friday, March 20, 2009

Garden Time

I took most of Wednesday and with help from my daughter and grandson, we planted the garden. For the last two years I have not done that because I spent four months in China each spring. This spring there were many things that needed to be done at home and also because my oldest grandson was graduating from high school and Jiajing would be finishing her freshman year at SFA and was coming to our home. With all of this I felt I needed to spend most of my time in the US this year.

As you can see from the picture, spring is just starting as the grass is still brown and the trees are just in the bud stage. In another week to two it will be quite different. By then the garden will be up and I will be thinking about packing for my trip to China. I will give more details on the garden when it comes up.

Today, Thursday, I spent most of my time painting cabinets in my shop. I will do more painting on Friday. Today I also fixed a problem I found in the kitchen and cut holes for the water pipes and drain pipe and also the electrical in the back of the base cabinet.

In the next picture I am fixing a problem. When I built the house I forgot to put a switch on the plug for the garbage disposal. I had to run a wire for the switch from the plug down in the wall to the support for the base cabinets and then over to the left and back up the wall to the switch. Since the drain vent passes under the outlet and since the wall is insulated with foam, I had to open the wall to get the wire down the wall.

I ran the wire between the wall and base support, over to the area under the switch, into the wall and up to an opening I made for the switch. I had to open the wall at the bottom to get the wire in and up the wall. It was a struggle, but I got it done and closed up to wall. Now the switch can be used to turn the plug on and off.

The big base cabinet is in place, but needs to be trimmed out. When I get that done I will have a picture for you to see.

Work is going to stop for awhile as I will be flying from DFW on Saturday to go to my dad's funeral, which is Monday morning. I will return Tuesday afternoon and will get back to work on Wednesday. I will find something for the blog entry for Monday. You will have to check and see what it is.