Monday, September 12, 2011

Wrapping Up

I have two more work days and I will have to leave this project. I told Rachael I would like to stay for another month and finish as the finish work is the really fun stuff. Her response was, “No, not one month, but three.” I think she had in mind the remodel, which will take place after the new is finished. The remodel is a big job in its self. It will involve changing the old dining room into a bedroom for the two older girls, changing the old kitchen into a new dining room, and a few other things. I have no choice but leave now as I have a flight set for China on September 26th.



This porch has a history of change. The original design called for brick on the wall containing the door and window. The basement foundation was designed with a brick ledge for that purpose. During construction plans changed to the use of stone in place of brick for more of a country appearance. Then as we started working on the porch it was decided to put on siding instead. As you can see we still have to finish the ceiling and put the skirt on the front.



A view as seen from the future sidewalk.



The lower right hand corner needs siding and the upper portion needs new siding. This will be done when the new dining room window is installed as part of the remodel work.



The back porch is also nearly finished. Some trim at the top and the skirt at the bottom.



I came very close to finishing this project this summer with Jon’s help nights and on Saturdays. Brother Jim was also a great help doing the plumbing and electrical.



There I am digging in the dirt again.



I placed some fill in the area that sank for Jon to level off.



I did a lot of work on the driveway on Saturday.



A good view of the old and the new; I think it came together very well.

No comments: