Thursday, June 30, 2011

Starting the Walls

I was alone all day Monday and used that day to layout the walls.


You go around the outside and mark where every wall piece goes. You draw lines on the top and bottom plates to show where you will put every piece and the kind of piece it is to be. Once you mark both the top and bottom plates you stack them up as you see in the above picture.


View from the south end.


They put up the hammock so I could rest after lunch. I haven’t tried it out yet. I am afraid to lie in it because if I do I will probably fall asleep and not wake up until it is time to leave for home.


Except for around the stairs I got the layout done and planned to build walls on Tuesday. I worked hard all day with some help from Adam and got more done than planned. I will come close in finishing up the framing on the main part of the house on Wednesday. Thursday we plan to backfill.


When Jon got home from work he worked for a short while before it was time for me to leave and time for him to go to soccer practice with the kids.


Why is the old man working and the young guy just watching? I think I am getting too old for this kind of work, but I sure enjoy doing it. How many of you can bend over like this and work for eight hours? Notice the bump in the middle of my back? When I was about five years old I fell backwards off the farm truck and landed on my back on the concrete sidewalk and broke three vertebras. As a result my back has always had that curve in it.


I really like my saw. It does a nice job.


When I came up from Texas I had more tools than this in the back of my car.

No comments: