Once the blocks are laid the next
step is to install the sill plates on the block walls.
These plates are usually bolted or
nailed to the blocks with a sill liner in between to prevent air flow. The wood
frame is attached to these plates. The top course of blocks in the garage is
constructed of six inch blocks. I chose to use a two by four, which measures
one and a half by three and one half. The outside sheathing will be a half inch
and the drywall inside will also measure a half inch. Another half inch for
trim leaves about half an inch of block showing on the inside. I like to apply
the sheathing flush with the blocks and then drop the starter strip for the
siding about a quarter inch over the blocks to cover the joint between the
blocks and the sheathing. This makes a nice finish on the outside. I will show
this as I frame and then later when we install the vinyl siding.
The patio is constructed of eight
inch blocks. A two by eight is used to cover them. The basement is constructed
of ten inch blocks and so I chose to use a two by ten, leaving a space of one
half inch on the outside for the sheathing.
Except for the area near
the garage door opening, the plates have been installed. We will leave those
until later. We can now start building walls in the basement.

No comments:
Post a Comment