I want to carefully approach this
sensitive topic we find in Ruth by considering this title “My Daughter”. Boaz
addresses Ruth as “my daughter” in 3:10 and 11. It is easy to read over this
without thinking anything about it, but we shouldn’t. I can’t because it has
direct application for me here in China.
First, the use of my daughter makes
reference to an age difference. Ruth and Boaz were a generation apart. The
women I spend time with here in China fall into two groups because of my age. There
are those who are the same age as my older grandchildren and there are those
who are like my children in age, especially my youngest.
Second, the use of my daughter makes
reference to relationship and behavior. To really understand this I had to
discuss this with several young ladies. I found, to be honest, that as my
relationship with a woman became intimate it was natural to begin to have
some sensual feelings and thoughts, which if not controlled could lead to
trouble. I found, and so did the woman in our relationship, that when a
covenant is made with God to see the other person as a family member something
happens with the sensual part. There is no way I would even consider any
sensual activity or thought with one of my daughters or granddaughters. These
women become adopted children or grandchildren and when they do things clearly
change. The young women I have talked to about this have expressed the same
thing. When this intimacy develops and we shift into the family mode, I am
addressed as grandpa and dad. I have one 31 year old that refers to me as her
daddy. For me that really tightens up the behavior, thoughts and respect.
I say all of this because of the
relationship between Ruth and Boaz. Boaz looks at Ruth and sees her as his daughter.
That sets the behavior and relationship. Then in this father/daughter
relationship they are ready to come together at the threshing floor. Without
this preparation and understanding the threshing floor scene would become just
another sensual Hollywood scene.
I have lived in this intimate
relationship with women in China for the past seven years and as a result I
clearly understand the importance of the term “my daughter”. If you are able to
understand and grasp this then you might be ready to join me as we check on
what Ruth and Boaz are doing together in the dark. I have asked my students
what they would be doing if that were them and I have asked myself what I would
do if I were Boaz and had a woman lying at my feet that had found a place in my
heart. We must be very careful we don’t mess up this scene by looking at it in
the wrong way.

No comments:
Post a Comment