Monday, November 29, 2010

Headed Toward Home

It is Sunday, November 21, 2010, as I write this and if you read it when it posts I should be someplace between Wuhan and McKinney. I am looking forward to a great flight with Father. I enjoy traveling with him very much as he always seems to know what he is doing and has everything under control. That allows me to enjoy the trip and have fellowship with him along the way, which brings me to a thought.
I have read the book titled, “The Prodigal God” by Timothy Keller twice now and could easily read it again. You might say I have poor comprehension or something worse, but the author presents some things worthy of some deep thinking. Today I finished my second reading and noticed something I missed on the first read.
On page 125 in his book, Keller prompted my thinking with the statement, “You can’t live the Christian life without a band of Christian friends, without a family of believers in which you find a place.” Then on page 127 he really got my attention with the idea that community is necessary to know an individual. If a community of people knows an individual they each know something a little different about that individual. When you listen to those people talk about that individual you will learn more than you could by yourself.
At the coffee shop I spend time at here in Wuhan, a student may talk to several Christians over the course of time. Each will share something about Jesus Christ. That community of Christians is necessary for that student to learn about Jesus. People sharing in community, stimulates growth that is impossible if you remain alone. My time of greatest spiritual growth always occurs on my trips to China because they always involve so much more community than I have in the US.
Americans have chosen to spend time with electronic things at the expense of community with the disastrous result of serious spiritual decline and accelerating evil. Paul tells us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. It is essential for spiritual growth.

No comments: