It
is Monday, November 8, 2010, after a very long tiring weekend. I worked at the
computer until noon on Saturday and then took two buses and after an hour and a
half arrived at the Aloha restaurant. I didn’t go there to eat, but to begin a
short walk to a home where a western Thanksgiving dinner was going to be served
at 2:30. Somebody provided the turkey and everyone else brought something. Talk
about a pile of food, but it took a lot because the final count was 130 people;
that was wall to wall people, but that is normal here. We filled our plates and
stood shoulder to shoulder and ate and talked. Some went upstairs; some went
downstairs; some went outside; some stayed near the food and just kept filling
their plates. – This is no ordinary house. It has five floors, but one side of
the house is half a floor different than the other side. – Between 3:30 and
4:00 the leftover food was taken away and the serving table and counter were
covered with all kinds of desert. At 4:00 we again filled our plates and
stuffed ourselves.
At
6:00 Anna wanted to go see Lisa, who was just getting home from work, but
wasn’t sure of the bus to train transfer. I was going to where Lisa lives to
transfer busses, so I suggested Anna travel with me. An hour and a half later,
in very bad traffic, we finally arrived. Anna went to see Lisa and I crossed
that special eight lane road to catch my bus back home. At home I showered and
collapsed into bed.
Sunday
morning Zuhua and I were off to church, but stopped along the way for
breakfast. Church was normal, except for decorations for a wedding that was to
follow the service. I didn’t realize that the choir was going to sing for the
wedding and since Zuhua was in the choir, I stayed for the wedding. I stood
outside the side door, which was only a few feet from the ceremony and took
pictures.
After
the wedding, Zuhua and I headed across the courtyard of the church to head home.
By the time we had gotten to the street some friends had caught up to us and
led us to one of the three big busses parked on the street. I am sitting on the
bus wondering how I managed to be headed to the wedding dinner, but I was.
Finally the three busses arrived at a very nice hotel. We were led in and taken
to our seats; that is most were. There were no seats for about twelve of us. We
walked in the front door of the large banquet room and out the back door, down
the hallway toward the backdoor of the hotel to the last room where we were
finally seated. We were not strangers. Joy and Jenny and another church staff
person were there. The rest were choir members. I sat next to Jenny, who
interpreted for me four years ago. We talked and talked. She wants me to return
soon and work at the seminary with her. The church is praying that I will
return soon and continue to teach there. The students at Mr. Mai’s want me to
come back soon. My feelings are, “Why leave?” There is so much to do here. I
love the work and the people.
After
a wonderful dinner, Zuhua and I took a bus home and crashed for about an hour
before we had to catch two busses to get to a friend’s home for supper. Their
home is on the 26th floor and is very beautiful. There were two
young ladies in their early 20’s there as outside family members who wanted to
practice their English. We had a great time. One of the young ladies was very
interested in becoming a Christian, but wasn’t quite ready. I have been in
email contact with her for over a year. After a great supper, it was back to
the buses and back home and finally back to bed.
I
realized this weekend how many people I know here in Asia and how involved I am
here. This is life for me. This is what counts. I know this is where I belong.

No comments:
Post a Comment