It
was Friday evening and Zuhua and I were finishing supper and she asked me if I
was going with her to choir practice. I don’t go to practice singing, but to
practice my listening. A Christian from the music school works with them each
Friday evening. I really enjoy watching him take a piece they can hardly sing
and listen to the progress he makes with them.
Last
spring he worked from the piano as he led the choir, but tonight was different.
At the piano he had a twelve year old with no music in front of her. It was
simply Chinese characters with a row of numbers above the characters indicating
the melody line. He would sing through the music for her, emphasizing all the
inflections he wanted. She simply sat there, looked at him and listened. When
he finished, she looked at the piano keyboard for a minute and then positioned
her hands and started playing. I was stunned by what I heard. She played back
using all the keys she could with both hands, just as he had sung it, with
feeling that brought tears to my eyes. It was really special watching and
listening to her and the choir director work with the choir. Often after church
on Sunday, she would sit down at the piano and play classical numbers from
memory. She is clearly playing at the college level.
The
following picture is her at the piano on a holiday weekend when almost nobody
came to sing.
At
choir practice tonight was a young daughter of the mother that drives me home
from class on Tuesday. She works her way over to me and offers me a piece of
chocolate candy. She sits down next to me with a small electronic game in her
hands and plays, trying to talk with me in English. She takes special English
classes and also takes piano lessons from the twelve year old at the piano. In
fact the twelve year old has several piano students.
After
a while she leaves me and goes to another place in the church. About that time
Joy enters the sanctuary and notices me sitting there. She comes over and sits
with me and talks with me about several things. I mentioned to her how I felt
the love of God in the music there at the church. It really stimulated worship.
She completely agreed. We sat together for the rest of the choir practice and
then we went up and talked with the twelve year old for a few minutes.
Zuhua
and I left to go home, but were joined by a young lady that just graduated from
seminary and now works with Joy at the church. She is learning English and
wanted to talk with me. We walk together for about a mile having a great time.
Choir
practice is such a special event. I always have a great time, but for some
reason my singing doesn’t seem to improve any. Must be I am a slow learner, or
maybe I am musically challenged. That twelve year old at the piano is sure
good!

No comments:
Post a Comment