There
used to be a vacant lot at the corner of the street where I live. It was
covered with nice mature trees and was just across the alley from my apartment
building. A year ago the trees were cut down and then a few months later very
deep holes were drilled and filled with rebar and concrete. That process was
finished last spring. When I left at that time they were uncovering the piers
located around the edge of the property, cutting them off at a certain height,
and preparing to construct a reinforced beam on their top around the property.
When
I came back this fall, the lot was a flat piece of land with little sign of
previous construction. On the lot was this very heavy machine pushing piers
deep into the earth.
Soon
that process was done and a blue construction fence was erected to make sure no
one but workers could enter. A big backhoe was brought in and loaded trucks throughout each night, creating a growing hole in the ground. During the day
they started to erect very large steel pipes horizontally across the hole being
dug.
Notice
the piers around the edge with the beam on the top. The pipes are being used to
form a truss to hold back the retaining wall while the hole is being dug. With
buildings and streets on the edge of the site, great care must be taken to
insure that there is no shifting of soil.
In
the above picture, the final grade for the floor is being determined and all
concrete piers are being cut off just below floor level as you can also see in
the next picture. A thick reinforced floor will be poured up tight to the
retaining walls. After that has cured to a particular strength, the pipes will
be taken down to allow the building frame to be built. Notice the backhoe at
work on the floor. When finished they will lift it out.
As
I was writing this I went out to get the above picture along with some others.
Workers were cutting off the piers at floor level. That I understand. But the
piece they cut off they drove a wedge up the side under a rebar. I wanted to
stay and watch through a small opening in the fence to learn more, but I felt
this tap on my shoulder and turned to see an unhappy construction worker
standing next to me gesturing that I leave. I thought it wise to leave, but I
will be back. I saw too much this morning. My construction mind wants to know
what those workers were going to do with those cutoff pieces and why each one
was being prepared as it was.

No comments:
Post a Comment