Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Seeds Being Planted

Questions often come up about TV programs in conversations at Mr. Mai’s, which I can’t answer because I don’t watch much TV. Other that some news and a movie now and then, the only serial I watch is NCIS, on Tuesday evening, and four months of that I don’t see because I am in China. Then they ask me about American movies and I tell them I don’t watch very many of them either. By now they think I am really strange and ask me why. I simply tell them it is a matter of priority.
For me it is more important to spend four months in China teaching Bible and having thought provoking conversations with Chinese students than it is to watch TV programs and movies at home. When I am home I find there are choices that also make better use of my time, like reading good books or being involved with certain church activities. I explain to them that it is important to select the kind of seeds you want to plant in your mind or heart, because the seeds you plant determines the kind of harvest you will have later in life. I believe many of the TV programs and movies plant the wrong kind of seed and so I avoid them. I am always searching for a good source of seeds and keep a list of good books to read or worthy movies to watch. The “Wish List” at Amazon.com is a wonderful place to keep such a list. When in need of another book to read I can bring up the list and make a selection. The same is true when the desire of a good movie comes along.
Someplace in my reading this past week a seed was planted that related to miracles. I really wish I could remember the source, but I can’t. The essence of the thought is that miracles are indicators pointing to a restored universe when everything will again be perfect. For the past few days I have been reviewing in my mind the miracles performed by Jesus. Casting out evil spirits suggests a restored universe with no evil in it. Healing those who are sick removes form of suffering associated with death. Restoring those deformed suggest that which is perfect will again exist everywhere. The raising of the dead points toward the complete removal of death that now plagues the universe. It is true the miracles were used to establish faith in those who were witnessing the acts, but I believe they also point toward the time when the universe will again exist in the state that God had originally intended.
The body, soul, and spirit of a human being are indeed a marvelous thing. Our sin has severely damaged it, but let us not damage it further with cheap input. That is why I don’t read, watch, and listen to certain material and keep a wish list of resources at my fingertips of good things I can look forward to. As I look at the decline of America I have a growing suspicion that many Christians are allowing that which is second best or even worse into their input channel. How about you? How pure and edifying is your input?

No comments: