Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tractor Repair

It is almost seven o'clock, Tuesday evening and I decided to call my sister in western New York. She commented on my last blog entry, which reminded me that I had not written an entry for Wednesday. So here I sit in front of my laptop, with a pile of work on my desk that I had planned to tackle, working on this entry.

As you know from the Monday entry, Saturday had its challenges, which determined my work for Monday. There were two hydraulic hoses that went from the steering wheel control to the hydraulic cylinder located on the front axial of my tractor. I didn't know which hose was bad and I didn't care because I was going to replace both of them. When there is a pair like that you do both, because leaving an old one is an invitation for trouble.

I put on my old work clothes and went to look the situation over. Where did those two hoses go and how difficult was it going to be to get them off and new ones on? It would be no problem to get to the ends under the steering wheel, but the other end was a different story. I couldn't get a wrench anywhere near the ends of the hoses without taking off the front end of the tractor, disconnect the tie rods and remove the hydraulic cylinder from the front of the front axial. With the cylinder free of the axial I could tip it down on one side and remove that hose. Then if I tipped the other end down I was just able to get a wrench on and remove the other hose.

With the sides and front off I could see where the hoses came up along the frame. I got the cylinder free from the axial and as the next picture shows I could just get my wrench in place with just enough movement to loosen the connector.

The two hoses come up along the side of the engine block through a hole to where the operator sits. The two top hoses are the ones I am replacing. Last year the two lower ones were replaced, which go to the hydraulic pump. That was a real job also.

The four hoses then terminate at the steering control unit.

I got the hoses off and drove about 40 miles to a place that custom makes hoses like I need. I have used them several times in the past. They do quality work and provide hoses for truck and construction equipment. Having a hose custom made is better quality than from the tractor dealer and is much less expensive. When I finally got back it was about time for lunch, so the tractor could wait.

I had lunch and went back to work and soon realized I had a challenge on my hands. Which end do I start at? Start at the hard end, the front end, and work back to the steering wheel, but don't tighten anything until the hoses are twisted just right to allow the connectors to go on freely. Never force the threads or you will damage them.

After carful, patient work the hoses were on and tightened up. I put the cylinder back on the axial and connected the tie rods. I started the tractor to check for leaks and to see if the hoses were connected right or if I had crossed them. They were right and there were no leaks. I finished putting the tractor together and started cleaning it up as it was really dirty. By the time I got it done I was ready to call it a day.

On Tuesday I did maintenance on the tractor and restored the oil level in the hydraulic system. I didn't have enough oil so it was off to another city to get some. I finished the maintenance and decided to use the tractor to move some top soil to the new sidewalk area to be sure it was running ok. I leveled the soil off, seeded it, and covered it with some left over covering I had. Got the soaker hose out and soaked the area down. If I keep it wet the grass will be up in a few days. I want to get a good stand before I got o China.

Since I was doing miscellaneous jobs I decided to continue doing them and would return to the stairs on Wednesday morning. Wednesday afternoon I have other plans.

No comments: