Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Need More Time



I need more time or less work to do in the time I have. Monday was Labor Day, which I think means that one is to work extra hard, at least that is what I always seem to do. Finishing up the door, reported in the last blog entry, I had dumped my tools on the shop floor and now they needed to be picked up. The shop was a real mess and needed to be cleaned and so I spent most of the morning cleaning and picking things up. Just before lunch I got back to work on the stairs. After lunch I worked until about three when the little voice inside got so persistent that I had to stop my work and obey it.

My neighbor across the street has a very large backyard that she keeps mowed with a small riding mower. About three weeks ago it broke down while I was on vacation. When I got home the grass was getting pretty tall and I sensed there was a problem and that she probably could use some help, but I got busy on the stairs and watched the grass grow. Finally I yielded to the voice, put my tools away and got out my tractor and went to work on the back yard.

It took me about two hours verses about six for her when her mower is working. I finished hers and came back home to do mine. I got started, but needed to quit for dinner. Besides I was very dirty and very itchy and longed for a nice cool shower.

Tuesday morning I needed some more supplies and headed for Home Depot. Connie and I decided on a stain color. I picked up a gallon to be sure it was what we wanted before buying a five gallon pail of it. When I got home I decided to stain the underside of the top platform to see what we thought of the color. I tried some on the old deck floor near the door to see how it would look. At that point I decided I would take up the old floor and turn it over, sand it, stain it on both sides and reinstall it with the bottom side up. If I work real hard I think I can get it done in about four days.

The color of the stain matches our window trim. The stained boards sure look better than the unfinished floor. I am thinking of making the railing white to match the house trim. What do you think?

I am thinking of making the 4 by 4 inch post red along with the floor and steps. The railing will be white like the roof overhang. I plan to remove the 2 by 6 top railing and replace with two 2 by 4's to match the stairs. As you read this I have nine more work days before I leave for China. That is not enough days!!

1 comment:

Andrea Victoria said...

No one is going to accuse you of letting the moss grow on your feet! Don't bite off more than you can chew, though.