Kitchens is Chinese homes are quite small when compared to those is the states. My apartment in China is shown in the following picture. It is simple but adequate to prepare a Chinese meal. Add a second gas burner and you double your ability.
At Thanksgiving time I took some pictures of the kitchen in my home. The refrigerator is just outside the picture to the right where there is another counter and a pantry. The food was prepared and set out on counters.
Here we prepare the food and make all of it ready at the same time. Then we line up – there were nineteen of us eating today – select the food we want and put it on our plate and go to a table with others and eat what we have selected and after we have eaten way too much we cover the counter with deserts and get more food to eat. Is it any wonder Americans are overweight?
This was quite an experience for Jiajing. I encouraged her to take just a little of many things to see what they were like. If you don’t try you will never know if it tastes good or not. Several things I tried in China I found to be delicious even though my mind said, “Don’t eat!” If I listen to my mind I would then have lost out on many good experiences.


