Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Does It Make A Difference?


I have commented on the lack of influence I felt the church was having in affecting the society in which we live, but when I do I have to seriously look at my own life and ask if I am making a difference. Has my presence here in China made a difference? One needs only to ask Jiajing that question and she will reply, “Steve totally changed my family.” Others tell me I make a difference, but I still wonder how effective I really am.

If I were to go into a restaurant and sit down at a table with others for a meal and if I were the only Christian at the table, would I make a difference there? Would my presence be in any practical way a benefit to the others? What if at each table in a large restaurant there was one Christian. Would that make any practical difference? What if there were two? Would you see or experience any difference because they were there? What influence would these believers have over those who are not?

What if you have a Christian function, say a wedding where the density of believers is much greater. What influence would these Christians have over those who are there who do not believe. Would those believers make a difference?

I thought about this at the last men’s meeting I attended at church before coming to China. I listen to their conversation to see how it reflects their walk with the Lord. Does it include anything from their daily Bible reading or study? Is there anything being said about how God is using them to touch the lives of others or what God is doing in their lives?

I have taught Bible studies and delivered sermons under conditions in which I wasn’t real sure I would safely make it to the end. One time I almost didn’t. I think all of us need experiences like that to help us understand the value of our faith and the importance of our lives making a difference with those around us.

No comments: