Thursday, May 24, 2012

It Is Called Development


After time out in the “fresh” air with my camera, we arrived back in my neighborhood. My camera was coughing, trying to clear its lungs from that stuff that was mixed in with the fresh air.


A few weeks ago that was a two story KFC that was always busy, but someone had more money and decisions were made to convert it into a fancy men’s store. If they can’t make a profit someone will tear off the new face and put on another. Change is the way it goes here. Build things to last at most three years because by then it will probably be something different.


Four years ago there was a nice park here, but the trees weren’t making a big enough profit so they were cut down, a big hole was dug in the ground and filled with this nice building. That building is on the corner of the street where I live. I live in the next building up the street.


Up the street, the building next to where I live was open to business one week ago. Today only the front exists.


The building I live in is between the new building and the one just torn down. We have been given notice that in two years ours may be torn down, so start looking for a place to live.


From the seventh floor where I live I can look out on the old buildings around us. Within five years they will all be gone along with this one.


As I move the camera over just a little you can see what is coming. The city for over a mile beyond was leveled and replaced by those taller buildings. This is a prime area because the river is on the left and a new subway is on the right.

In America construction is done by the Mexicans. Here in China it is the migrant workers who have come in from the country looking to make more money leaving their family behind.

No comments: