Friday, May 4, 2012

The Old Becomes New


As I was finishing my Saturday morning picture taking hike, I had some more thoughts as I crossed the bridge of two decks. As I looked at the area where I live and then the area just to the north of it I knew what was going to happen. The nice old apartment I now live in will one day not be there. The following two pictures will show you what I mean.


Look at the skyline. The left side of the first picture is dominated with high-rises. The right side is dominated with short buildings. Those short buildings are old and some are not in very good repair.


In the above picture you can see their age. Within two to five years that old area is scheduled to be leveled and replaced with new high-rises that you see in the background.

The Chinese family I live with really likes their place and their location. So do I as it has become my second home. I have many memories here and I hate to see the change that is coming.

As I looked at the area, in the above picture, from the top of the bridge another thought came to mind. Like that area of the city, each one of us is aging and looking worse all the time. We are no longer new looking, but getting more and more wrinkled all the time. When we move we creek and groan like those old buildings. We all know that this old body will one day be no more, just like those buildings. But unlike those buildings we have a replacement option that is really top-notch.

Because of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we can have God create a new creature in Christ within us that will one day be clothed with a perfect body. This old body will be replaced with a new one just as those old buildings will one day be replaced with new ones. The difference is we are the same person, but the buildings will be different. However, the idea of the new replacing the old is the same.

No comments: