We all have desires and God has a
will in relationship to them; “The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord
directs his steps” (Proverbs 16:9 NASB). With my mind I can decide if I am
going to China again and if I decide to go I plan out my way. But God chose me
in him before the foundation of the world and caused me to be born again and
assigned to me good works that I should do for him (Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:3;
Ephesians 2:10). If my desire and his will don’t mesh, life can become very
difficult as I may experience his discipline or pruning as he works at bringing
the two together. This is clearly seen in Romans 8:29 where God makes a promise
to us that he will conform us to the image of his Son. We have a choice of
working with him in the process or fighting him all the way to the finish line.
This tension between my desire and
his will is always present with me as I really desire to keep the two in sync.
This tension has come to the forefront concerning a possible trip next spring.
Up to this point I have had peace about using my health as a measure of whether
to come or not. In a way this left the choice in God’s hands. It seems as
though God has change the parameters for next spring. I still have the health
and sense that I have five years left to do this work, but now with a change of
provision for me the question I seem to have is to determine if I am really
needed here and if so are there other resources to allow me to be here.
What I want to know is am I coming
to China because that is my desire or am I coming because there is a need here
and God has assigned me to fill that need. To answer that question, I have been
talking to God and others, seeking information that might help me find the
answer. I need to hear that I am definitely needed and that there are
resources available to provide for my needs. I have talked to several people in
leadership positions in several organizations that I work closely with, seeking
their counsel. Their response was somewhat unexpected and very humbling. Their
first reaction was shock that I might not be coming back. Their second reaction
was that it can’t happen and their third reaction was with God’s help and
guidance we will provide for you because you are of such value to us and we
believe that your work is not yet finished here.
Sensing that God wants me to move
forward I will be meeting with various people to determine a way, praying that
our plan would be framed around the steps God would have us take. Things have
changed on this trip. I am no longer asking if they want me to teach next year.
They are now asking me to come as part of their plans. I needed to know if
there was a need, and, if so, is there was a resource to
meet my need. I have determined that there is a need, now we need to work on
providing for my needs for next spring.

No comments:
Post a Comment