It will be worth your time to click on the link to the right of my blog entry titled “The Unguy’s Blog” and read the entry titled “Don’t forget the salt!” It is a good entry from my friend who is working in Tajikistan. I think you will enjoy it. I also think you will enjoy the note from Lisa on her medical adventure.
I've had quite a time trying to get Internet Access but, finally today it happened. The surgery was a great success and there is no other cancer that can visually be seen. Of course, I must do a few months more of chemo to make sure any microscopic cancer is killed. They staged me now at 2B because during the surgery there was no visible sign that the cancer was metastasizing. They were supposed to take out one lymph node that might have been compromised, but discovered it was just inflamed, or if it were cancerous, the chemo killed the invasion!! I had a few issues with the anesthesia that sent me to ICU for one night, but since that one "baddie", I am strong and walking on my own now. I'm raring to be home, but they are making absolutely sure my incision wounds are completely healed and that my digestive system is as normal as possible. So a few more days!! (Sigh!) They err on the side of caution, because somehow word got to the Wuhan General Consul and the American ambassador rep visited me in the hospital with a lot of picture taking stuff the day before my surgery.
Now the hospital has asked if I would consent to a TV interview about my experience as an international patient and my feelings about this particular hospital -- which is very high in my opinion. I have never experienced such an overwhelming amount of compassion, patience, encouragement, and "TEAM EFFORT" focused to get me well and infuse me with courage.
The night before the surgery, I got very scared and upset because I was afraid of the anesthesia in that I have bad lungs. Li Yang, a nurse here that studied in Boston, sat on my bedside for about an hour or two holding my hands and talking to me about how successful they are -- this team --and not to fear! There will be pictures to come to show all that has happened....
Sara, my friend from Chengdu, faithfully sits in my room for hours at a time helping me laugh, plot possible "escapes" for a spell, and giving me clear soup on the day after day after day -- endlessly -- that the doctors didn't...you know in the USA one can drink clear liquids in two days -- not so here...I got official "clearance" yesterday, but between you and me, Sara was helping me "bend the envelope" American okay method while not "snitching" on me.... a woman after my own heart!
A student or students come every single night to make sure I don't choke during the night and watch my multiple nutrition "drips" -- I have some coughing problems at night because of having to sleep back on my back, but everything is "astounding" the medical team here.
I am so blessed. I don't know if there is a way to document all the infinite number of ways these amazing people and their HUGE hearts have lifted me up. I love China so much and am so glad I've been able to be here, even through the scary times.
Thank you all for the packages, prayers, encouragement, advise -- cheer...and most of all PRAYER around the globe for me. This too means much to me and helped me climb over the mountain to what appears to be a thorough healing. More to come...I'm tired now! :) Always, Lisa
I will try to work in some of those pictures tomorrow. Steve

No comments:
Post a Comment