I just received an email from Lisa and decided to slip it in as a special Saturday entry since I had already scheduled an entry for Monday and Tuesday.
I'm sorry for the delay in emailing you and others. The laparoscopy surgery as you know went very smoothly. It was supposed to last five hours, but only took about three hours. Since there were only three small (almost like scratch-like) incisions, and a three inch one, I had pain for only about a day and most of that time I was asleep in the ICU because shortly after the operation, my body went into spasms and I couldn't breathe properly - due to the anesthesia – and that scared them half to death I guess so they sent me off to the ICU! I had absolutely no memory of the spasms or breathing issue. It was like one minute I was being wheeled out of the operating room and the next minute I was waking up in a strange room (ICU) wondering how I got there.
They kept me in the hospital from Feb 22 until March. This length of time is unusual for this type of surgery, but since I was their first American patient to have the surgery there, they weren't going to take any chances. Since they had to cut the portion of the colon out that had the cancer and rejoin it with the rectum part, they wouldn't let me move hardly at all. I was on IV nutrition and anti-biotic feeds in a port thingy in my upper clavicle area. It was all rather fascinating, actually.
By day two I was walking about my room attached to a pole with all my IVs. They were astonished at my strength and recovery. They said they'd never known a patient to start moving about so soon. I had no pain other than the initial operating day, and the small incisions look like little scratches now. I still have to go to the campus hospital every day for UV light treatment on the bigger incision below my colon area. It's pretty big. This is where the tool was inserted that cut the portion of my colon out with the cancer in it and also my all my lymph nodes.
I got really scared for some weird reason the night before the surgery, wondering if I'd wake up from the anesthesia, etc. [During one of my operations I did wake up. It was 10:20 according to the clock in the operation room. I will never forget that experience. Steve.] I called my Mom and sister and brother-in-law and then just couldn't sleep. A nurse came in and said, "You must sleep." I told her I was afraid. It really bugged me that I was whacking out! Gene, that sweet lady, sat on the edge of my bed and held me and sang Chinese lullabies until I couldn't help but go to sleep. I've never experienced anything like that. How I love these Chinese people!
The next day on the way to the operating room, I started belting out English songs like "Beat It", "Ain’t No Mountain High Enough", "Amazing Grace", etc ... and into the operating room -- until they turned on Chinese radio to hush me up I suspect!! Ha, ha. That was sorta funny.
Anyway, all that said, the doctors stated that they could see no spread of the cancer to any other organs or areas of the body! Praise God!! The pathology report also shows no spread of the disease either!! So, for all practical purposes the cancer is GONE out of me!! They started me out at a Stage 3 diagnosis of cancer, because they thought some lymph nodes had been affected, but the pre-operation chemotherapy did what it was supposed to do -- shrink the tumor and stop the growth of the cancer! The cancer had gone through two out of four layers of my colon, so I'm now a Stage 2 patient. Of course, I must endure six months, perhaps less of chemotherapy to be sure any microscopic cancer cells are killed that can't be seen with the eyes, so I'll have a few more rough patches to go through before this is all over. Chemo starts in about 1 1/2 weeks.
The doctors reluctantly let me come home this past Monday, March 8 - wanting to keep me in until the large incision was totally healed - but I wanted to start teaching, so that's what I did. I missed Monday's class but taught all the other classes this past week!
Three days before I left the hospital, I agreed to a local TV interview as a pitch for the laparoscopy surgery for this condition. Most Chinese, when they are told - or their families - that they have cancer, simply give up and go home to die. Sometimes the patient never knows because the doctor will tell the families and the family decides whether to tell Granny or Grandpa or whoever. They often choose to avoid treatment because they don't want the person to suffer or worry in "their last days". Some, especially in the countryside, are more afraid of the chemotherapy - which makes them very ill - and the surgery and simply don't want to endure it. The type of cancer I had is one of the more curable kinds and the surgery has minimal recovery and side effects as opposed to traditional surgery. Xie He (the hospital) felt that if I, as an American foreigner talked about my confidence in the surgery procedure from firsthand experience and of the hospital's expertise and care, more may have the courage to endure the treatment. So I agreed of course, because it's all about saving lives, yes? It was rather a big to-do, but it made me feel really good to perhaps give a Chinese person the courage to face this and the chemotherapy for a very curable cancer. The hospital deserves credit too, because they are extremely conscientious and caring - so anyway, that was the reason for the interview.
When I got home on Monday, there was so much to do (and still is!) , and I have daily physical therapy for the wound area, and my classes - and limited energy - that I have had nearly no time at all to send emails.
God is good, yes? I am SO BLESSED!! I love life more dearly and little things mean more to me than ever. It's as if I were given a brand new life! Prayers are still coveted regarding the chemotherapy and the renewal of my school contract for next year. Thank you for your prayers and concern!! :) I'm now very content & happy knowing that I made the right decision to stay in Wuhan. I've made many new friends and contacts through this experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment