Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lisa – Doing Better

As God restores Lisa’s health, he has been at work in her heart. Often we pray for God to remove our trial, but if he answered our prayer immediately, might we not miss what God wants to do in our heart in the process of transforming us into the image of Jesus Christ. Do we not think of our comfort when maybe we should be thinking about what God wants to do in terms of character building? It is neat to see how God is changing Lisa’s heart to be more like his.

Enjoy the following information of what is happening there in Wuhan, where I will be in just two short weeks. I wonder what God has planned for this trip and how it will change my life. I know from experience that he will change it and it is always for the better.

I am doing better and better every day. I am down to 155 lbs. and still losing. My chemotherapy (pill) starts next Wednesday. It was supposed to start this Wednesday, but my incisions took longer to heal than expected so they decided to give me one more week of building up my strength, health, and energy before starting again. The medication is called Xeloda...I think that's how it is spelled.

I bought a juicer -- haven't used it yet, because it takes time to figure things out with it (instructions all in Chinese) -- but it's a small compact one suitable for one person and only cost around 25 USD.

The cherry blossoms are in bloom and I have tentative plans to see them tomorrow or Wednesday. I have joined an organization that supports children, mostly orphans whose parents or one parent has died of HIV/Aids. It was such a touching first meeting yesterday. I am quite taken with the founder's story -- who is now 72 years old -- he is a true hero in my eyes. He's one of those rare "bigger than life" people who stood up to the Chinese government over this issue -- no small matter at all!! He survived their smear campaigns and has this amazing charity that funds orphans' education which is not "free" anymore after age 14. If you want me to send the article about this man's fight for these orphans, TIME did an article on him. It's great.

This is what it is like for all Chinese children. Education is "free" until the age of 14 then the parent or parents must finance the remaining school years and of course college or university education. I found that an interesting contrast. One boy made me a bird out of clay and gave me an amazing drawing of an eagle. I will send pictures after I finish my difficult classes tomorrow -- or perhaps the weekend. I have decided to sponsor an orphan even though I don't make a lot -- I think it's just a total of one months' salary. China has done so much for me, I want to give back to her in some way, and this has been in my mind for awhile.

No comments: