Friday, January 29, 2010

Lisa - Chemotherapy

Sometimes what we plan doesn't work out. Lisa got up the courage to go in for surgery, but learned that life was going to be a little different. Read her email below and consider how she must be feeling.

There's so many things to say as to what's been happening these past few days, but I must make it short as I promised my doctor Friday night if he would let me go home for the weekend, I would return tonight (Sunday night) to start treatment tomorrow.

Here's a very brief outline of things:

1) They must do one, maybe two sessions of chemotherapy before the surgery. This is known as Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and discussed on the following webpage:

Neoadjuvant chemotherapy

Of course, the thought of chemo is terrifying to me, but the purpose of it is to make the tumor smaller so that there is not so much tissue to remove at the time of surgery. I'm frustrated because I eventually found the stamina to face the surgery, then this, but it is what it is.

2) Possibly the chemo starts tomorrow. It depends on some swelling on a lymph node that they tested on Friday and they have a big belief it's just from all the tests and fluids they've been forcing me to take as well as the agitation of the colonoscopy and not cancerous. Let's pray that it is, because of course lymph node issues are incurable usually if not always.

So THIS scares me too sometimes, however, I spent the entire weekend at home with Alice & my dog, Angel and did "normal" everyday things like cooking, shopping, and getting a facial to relax -- calling some family when I had a chance -- seeing students, etc --- and it really helped my attitude.

3) Pray that I get to return to teach my classes on March 1 (which is, by the way, my 46th birthday)! Never will I be so grateful to be teaching a class again than after this experience. It means a lot to me emotionally to be able to do so. I LIVE to teach now, and now not thinking I might not for a time makes me sad at times.

Oh goodness!! There's so much to say about everything, but I must get on the bus to take my 2 hour ride to the hospital before my Chinese doctor thinks I bailed on him!!! I am hoping to have internet connection -- but if not, the only way to communicate with me is to use SKYPE to call my mobile phone number here in China: 86-15171483490. That's it -- whoo! What a slender thread of communication, eh? That's kinda scary to me to at times.

4) Internet access at the hospital so I communicate with family & friends & students AND read about everything happening to me and what side effects to expect!

There's positive stuff and funny stuff to share too, but I just haven't time -- so sorry! AND pictures of my hospital room, etc!! :) It will have to wait until next time I have internet access, which could be in 2 weeks -- hopefully less. Alice is "holding the fort" and perhaps even my friend, Sara Dein from Chengdu can come to help. I hope so, she's a "soldier" if ever there was one -- and strength emotionally, spiritually, and physically is what wavers at times despite all efforts.

Love ya'll!!

No comments: