Monday, January 11, 2010

A Diverging Diamond

The heading on my blog indicates that it is suppose to be about my travels to China, but as a reader I am sure that by now you realize it includes more. My intent was to post blog entries only when I was actually traveling in China, but then readers in China wanted to know about what it was like in the States, so I kept writing and talked about some of my projects: the kitchen upstairs and the outside stairs as examples. We will get back to those projects soon, I hope. It is only ten degrees Fahrenheit outside and my shop is not much above freezing so I am doing other things inside where it is warm.

This morning as I sat at the breakfast table I made one last pass through the December issue of Popular Science and again stopped at the article on the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge near the Hover Dam and the one on the Diverging Diamond Interchange located at the intersection of I-44 and MO-13 at Springfield, Missouri. I have spent the last hour researching these two projects online and have learned some interesting things. I will narrow my interest to the interchange in this blog entry.

The following link takes you a document located at the official Mo DOC site, which shows a diagram of the interchange.

Diverging Diamond Interchange Diagram

This is the first interchange of this type in this country. There are some like them in France.
I would like to suggest you execute the following link to see several real nice pictures of the interchange

Diverging Diamond Interchange Pictures

Once you have looked at the pictures take about a minute and load the little automation found at the link below. Select the computer animation option and watch the traffic go through the interchange.

Computer Animation of Interchange

Maybe someday you will be glad you did when you have to actually drive one. The state of Missouri has plans for others and I am sure other states will follow because they are so much better and are cheaper to build. Research has shown that twice the number of vehicles can pass through one as compared to the old fashion type and do it much more safely.

If you are interested in the bridge use the following link. Once the site opens select the Construction Photo Album link near the bottom of the page.

Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge

No comments: