It is the eve of the interview and it is time to go to bed. I pray for Jiajing and her mom as they travel by train to Beijing and for the interview and go to bed and fall right to sleep, but I wake up at midnight with an overwhelming vision of turbulence and the sense of despair in the presence of the powers of darkness. I feel the thought of why so many visas are granted without prayer and this one may not be granted. What is faith and where is my God? In the depth of despair I heard the statement, “You have victory in Christ!” Yes, in him I have victory over the powers of darkness and all of a sudden the horrible vision disappeared and peace returned, but the question still remained unanswered; “Why is this visa so special and requires so much prayer when so many are granted without any prayer at all?”
I pray a bit more and go to bed, but morning comes too early. I get up but believe that I should not eat but go out for a long walk with the Lord. As I walk I pray and listen and I hear the answer to my question. The other visas have no spiritual significance attached to them. In most cases they are simply a document granting passage for unbelievers to the US. The visa for Jiajing is being sought by a new believer who is learning about walking by faith with God. Also, there is this old man, me, whose faith is being tested in a very practical way, who decided to expose his struggle to the public. Since God was brought into the picture, this visa automatically takes on additional importance.

As I walked along a new trail I discovered, God told me something else that meant much to me. He brought to mind the struggle I have had in my walk of faith in relationship to the assurance of that hoped for, and the evidence of that not seen. He brought to mind the struggle the Lord had in the garden before the trial and how he suffered right up to the end. When finally his work was done he said it is finished and he was at peace and brought his earthly life to an end. I then realized that my struggle was ok, because I still had work to do on my side of faith. When my work was finished I would also be at peace. I looked at my watch and realized it was eight am and felt for the first time total relief. My work was done and the work that was left was the work of faith that God would do. I was to enjoy the walk and wait for Jiajing to call.
An hour and a half later the call came. She was so excited she could hardly talk. She was granted her visa that opens the door of opportunity and responsibility that will require much hard work and adjustments to a very different culture with a different language. Our prayers and our love will make life a bit easier for her.
I pray a bit more and go to bed, but morning comes too early. I get up but believe that I should not eat but go out for a long walk with the Lord. As I walk I pray and listen and I hear the answer to my question. The other visas have no spiritual significance attached to them. In most cases they are simply a document granting passage for unbelievers to the US. The visa for Jiajing is being sought by a new believer who is learning about walking by faith with God. Also, there is this old man, me, whose faith is being tested in a very practical way, who decided to expose his struggle to the public. Since God was brought into the picture, this visa automatically takes on additional importance.

As I walked along a new trail I discovered, God told me something else that meant much to me. He brought to mind the struggle I have had in my walk of faith in relationship to the assurance of that hoped for, and the evidence of that not seen. He brought to mind the struggle the Lord had in the garden before the trial and how he suffered right up to the end. When finally his work was done he said it is finished and he was at peace and brought his earthly life to an end. I then realized that my struggle was ok, because I still had work to do on my side of faith. When my work was finished I would also be at peace. I looked at my watch and realized it was eight am and felt for the first time total relief. My work was done and the work that was left was the work of faith that God would do. I was to enjoy the walk and wait for Jiajing to call.
An hour and a half later the call came. She was so excited she could hardly talk. She was granted her visa that opens the door of opportunity and responsibility that will require much hard work and adjustments to a very different culture with a different language. Our prayers and our love will make life a bit easier for her.
