Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Facebook

Not too many days ago I received an email from one of my closer Chinese friends that I met last year. She invited me to join her as a friend on Facebook. I really didn’t want to, but since she was a good friend I thought I would at least accept her invitation and see what I had just gotten into. As soon as I did all of her Chinese friends who knew me wanted to become my friends and then their friends who knew me wanted and on it goes. Then it started to spread in the US and even in Germany. When I asked a friend, who first invited me to China, to accept me as a friend, he did and wrote back, “Steve, You're a second half champion my friend! You are finishing well.”

This old man who goes by the name, for most at the coffee shop, as Grandpa Steve, I find it so natural to be with these young people on Facebook. However, they are not all young. I am surprised at how many older people are there. Since this has become part of my daily life with my friends at the coffee shop and the US, I thought I would share this part of my world. When I sign in I see a page like the picture below.


It truly is an incredible social network where young people can get into trouble. Some have even taken their own life because of what has happened there, but there is also a very great opportunity for good. It is that opportunity I am trying to evaluate. I don’t know what my Father has in mind, but I am carefully listening. It may be something new and exciting. At one time coming to China was new and exciting. Now it is simply fantastic! In my wildest dream I never envisioned being here, doing what I am doing. This could be true with Facebook. Time will tell.

I am not going to say anything more about Facebook. You can go to their site found at www.facebook.com and see for yourself. Be careful you don’t become addicted like I think some of my friends are. It is a great place to hang out with your friends and your family.