Friday, June 6, 2008

Email One

By now you may be growing tired of my discussion about Emmy’s visa, but since I have drawn closure on it I would like to finish up in these blog entries. After working out my issue with my faith, I wrote a series of emails to Emmy and her parents about this struggle, because I knew they were also struggling. It would have been safer not to have shared any of this struggle publicly, but doing so might cause us to think about certain things, especially if the visa is not granted. In view of public record of my walk of faith in this matter, that would be a very difficult time for me. These emails are a summary of the process I went through.

Dear Emmy,

This is the first of a series of emails that I will send to you and your family. I would like you to think carefully about what I write. I would like you to print them and when you are finished with school, I would like to discuss them with you.

As you know I have been really struggling with this visa because it is testing an area of my faith. This morning the struggle ended and I now have peace and believe that our Father will grant you your visa. That is a statement of faith that I could not make when I got up this morning, but I believe it now. The purpose of these emails is to share with you how I came to that conclusion. I want to bring you and your family to the same conclusion, and I also want to explain what I think God might want us to do with prayer, planning and preparation.

The second high school girl had her visa interview yesterday. I wrote her this morning, asking her how it went. I just got her email and she said she got her visa. For me, that was confirmation from our Father for you. She is coming to Mr. Mai's this afternoon to see me.

In my next email I will begin to layout my journey of faith.

Grandpa Steve

As you read my email, what makes you uncomfortable? Why is that? How many excuses can you come up with that says she won’t receive the visa? What does it mean to walk by faith in this? How is your faith a living experience or is it just something you talk about?