By now you are probably getting tired of my struggle with the issue of Emmy’s visa, but I believe there is a lesson for me to learn here and I seem, for some reason, to be a slow learner. God tells me that without faith it is impossible to please him (Heb. 11:6). Last time we said that faith was the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb. 11:1). I also mentioned that this desire began in March of 2005 when I first came to China. At that time the dream began about the possibility of taking someone from China to the US for a visit, but no one seemed to support me in this idea. The idea would not go away, so I kept thinking about it and looking for someone. When I met Emmy, I sensed the Lord was selecting her for something special and even mentioned that to her. As I began to talk about her to others, they began to also get excited that she might be a good choice. When she made the decision to study in the US at a university in Texas, even against high odds of not getting a visa, and not go to Australia as planned, interest greatly increased for her coming. Little did I know how much of a struggle this would cause for me.
As I said last time, the path from 3/05 to now seems to have considerable evidence on it to indicate that the Lord was taking us toward a visa being granted. My practical mind tells me that the evidence clearly is pointing to the visa, but my practical mind is also screaming at me telling me that it might not happen and points out many reasons why. The reason this is so hard for me is even though I have taught or used Heb. 11:1, I never have truly applied the verse to a situation in my life. Now that God is asking me to apply it I find that, like when many come to Christ, I don’t have the assurance and thus can’t take the step of faith and claim that which is hoped for. I am like the person who can’t quite come to the point of salvation.
What in the spiritual realm might be attached to this visa? Is there opportunity? Is there the salvation of some? Is there encouragement for others? Is there fruit to the glory of God? Is there any reason why the devil might be against it? What part does your and my prayer have in this?
I want to quote a passage as a promise and simply, with childlike faith, believe it. “Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it shall be opened. Or what man is there among you, when his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone? Or if he shall ask for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him” (Matt. 7:7 – 11 NASB)!
I am beginning to believe that the assurance I need is found in God’s character. He will do as he promises. He will give good gifts to his children who ask. How many Christians have asked for visas to the US and not received them and those who didn’t, were there clear reasons why they didn’t? It seems as though God is speaking through several people that Emmy is the right person. The evidence is clear that she is and I believe the assurance is simply in believing God. Now having the assurance the next step is, with thanksgiving, to pray for the steps of God’s plan to unfold through prayer and be followed.
As I said last time, the path from 3/05 to now seems to have considerable evidence on it to indicate that the Lord was taking us toward a visa being granted. My practical mind tells me that the evidence clearly is pointing to the visa, but my practical mind is also screaming at me telling me that it might not happen and points out many reasons why. The reason this is so hard for me is even though I have taught or used Heb. 11:1, I never have truly applied the verse to a situation in my life. Now that God is asking me to apply it I find that, like when many come to Christ, I don’t have the assurance and thus can’t take the step of faith and claim that which is hoped for. I am like the person who can’t quite come to the point of salvation.
What in the spiritual realm might be attached to this visa? Is there opportunity? Is there the salvation of some? Is there encouragement for others? Is there fruit to the glory of God? Is there any reason why the devil might be against it? What part does your and my prayer have in this?
I want to quote a passage as a promise and simply, with childlike faith, believe it. “Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it shall be opened. Or what man is there among you, when his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone? Or if he shall ask for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him” (Matt. 7:7 – 11 NASB)!
I am beginning to believe that the assurance I need is found in God’s character. He will do as he promises. He will give good gifts to his children who ask. How many Christians have asked for visas to the US and not received them and those who didn’t, were there clear reasons why they didn’t? It seems as though God is speaking through several people that Emmy is the right person. The evidence is clear that she is and I believe the assurance is simply in believing God. Now having the assurance the next step is, with thanksgiving, to pray for the steps of God’s plan to unfold through prayer and be followed.
