Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Cultural Difference


I am starting my seventh year with this fourteenth trip to China. Never in my wildest dream would I even imagine doing what I am doing here and enjoying it so much. Living with a Chinese family makes it possible for me to live inside the culture, not just observe it from the outside. Experiencing life in a different culture prepared me to better understand a book I read about a year ago. The book titled “The Gospel of Ruth” by Carolyn Curtis James exposed me to the importance of understanding the culture in which a story is written. Looking at Ruth through the lens of the western culture gives a much different interpretation that looking at it through the ancient culture in which it was written.

Several weeks ago I listened to a sermon by Dr. Robert Creech in which he took issue with how the western church shares the gospel with unbelievers. He showed us from the scriptures how our approach was not the method Jesus used. Jesus said, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” The essence of the sermon was for us to guide an unbeliever, over time, along the path of discovering Jesus by show them what Jesus did and who he was. We are to show them kingdom living and help them develop a desire to be part of it. Again and again in the coffee shop students tell me how they dislike talking with many westerns about Christianity because they push so hard to convince them to believe as they do. When I use the approach Jesus used and help them follow Jesus with our conversation they relax and ask question after question. I help them grow in their understanding of who Jesus is and what he did and then one day they want in. The direct approach in China does not fit the culture. It turns them away and causes them to see Americans as arrogant.

When considering a text, not only is culture important, but so is the scope of its application. Often we try to apply it to a specific culture or group of people. I believe the Bible was written in an ancient culture but meant for global application. For example, if we view portions of scripture in terms of married women then we leave out those who are not married. An example of this is the word “ezer” which is found in Genesis 2:18. In chapter 1 of Genesis, woman is described as God’s image bearer along with man, but then in chapter 2, we limit the application of ezer to only married women thus eliminating about 60 percent of the female population from its application. Chapter 2 does speak of marriage, but as a subset group that ezer would apply to. As a result many women are missing out on special instruction to them and are being overlooked in partnership with unmarried men for kingdom work. Ruth and Boaz illustrate this before they were married. Their marriage was not out of love but was legally required to accomplish a work of redemption. This required Ruth to be a surrogate mother on Naomi’s behalf. To do this she needed the help of a man.

So culture does make a difference. You need to understand the culture in which it was written and interpret it in that context. It is also important to understand that the Scripture applies to all people groups. If our application only fits us or a certain period of time then maybe we should look a bit closer. I understand there are certain portions of Scripture that relate to the Jews or a particular time, but let us be careful with the rest.

No comments: