It was Thursday afternoon, 11/19, and I was working on the outside stairs when my cell phone got my attention. It was my friend Buzz who I had gotten to know when he and his wife joined my life group several years ago.
I came along side Buzz and helped him grow spiritually. He still remembers when I told my life group that I expected one or more couples to gain experience with me in leading a life group and then one day lead their own. Buzz sat there thinking, "What have I gotten myself into now." He and his wife and another couple did gain that experience. Buzz took over my life group and the other couple started one of their own. That is a very satisfying experience when a leader can reproduce himself into the lives of others.
Buzz has experienced several speed bumps along the pathway of life. The first one I experienced with him was when he had a tumor removed from his brain. That was a reminder that life is no respecter of persons and can really get our attention. He got through that and was back at work when pain started to develop in his lower back in an area where he had previously had back surgery. As the pain intensified it was clear that another surgery would be necessary. That took place in September before I left on my last trip to China. When I got back I gave him a call to see how he was doing. He said he was doing ok and was back to work.
A few days before his call on Thursday, his wife called to inform me that cancer was just discovered in his throat and that he would be going into surgery shortly. Buzz then called on Thursday to give me the details and ask if I would be able to come and see him before surgery and be with family during it. In rapid succession there were three speed bumps that brought about change in his life.
When we hit those bumps in life one of two things can happen. We can find ourselves short of God's grace and become more bitter toward life and maybe toward God or we can have a sufficient supply of God's grace and allow him to use this as a transforming experience in making one more like Jesus Christ. Buzz had maintain a close walk with the Lord and therefore had a sufficient supply of grace and has grown considerably in the image of Christ since I first met him. These speed bumps have not been easy for him, but I can honestly say that they have been good for him. Life for the Christian is not necessarily a life of comfort, but a life of growth and that growth often comes with a cost. Buzz knows the cost and he also knows the growth one can experience.
I drove down to Dallas in the early morning rain to be at his bedside at 7 AM. At around ten AM the surgeon came to the waiting room and gave his report. He said he felt the cancer was local, but he had to hurt him pretty bad to get it. Buzz is facing a very painful recovery and would appreciate our prayers of recovery.

No comments:
Post a Comment