Monday, August 10, 2009

Our First Homes

Our travels have taken Connie and I to see family and friends in Michigan. While there we visited the places where we lived. When we first got married we rented the attic apartment in the little house in the following picture.

After living there for awhile, a small house across the street came up for sale and we were able to purchase it. In my spare time I rebuilt the chimney, rebuilt the rooms upstairs, rebuilt about one third of the basement walls, lowered the basement floor and put in a new concrete floor. When I rebuilt the walls I dug out three feet of soil to allow moving the old wall back to the edge of the house. All of that soil was carried out in a pail, loaded in a small two wheel trailer - which I still have - and taken down the street to a place where I could dump it. I was young then and hard work was the normal thing to do. I am old now and hard work still seems to be the normal thing to do. That little house in seen in the following picture.

After living in that house for a few years, I felt it was time to build my first house. I found an acre of land in a small subdivision in the country and went to work. After about 40 years the trees we planted got really big.

Behind the trees is the house. I learned much about design and construction building that it.

We have one more house in Michigan to visit. We plan to visit it later.

No comments: