In my blog entry “The Value of a
Son” I wrote about how assigning greater value to a son over a daughter was
causing death and untold suffering here in China. As I read an article I received by email from Break Point, I couldn’t help but think
again of the situation here in China. In the article, shown below, selection
for abortion was being made based on physical or health condition of the
unborn. In many cases, if the unborn is determined to be a girl she will be
aborted just like the one diagnosed with Down syndrome. If the child that is
aborted is automatically saved because it is under the so called age of
accountability, then does that not give you the power to determine who is saved; and does that then not make abortion a good thing for the sake of the child?
What does the Bible really say about this?
Wrongful Birth?
Loving Disabled Children
April
09, 2012
Doctors and hospitals are regularly held
accountable for failing to prevent patients from dying. But if the precedent
set by an Oregon couple’s recent legal victory stands, doctors can now be held
accountable for failing to prevent patients from living!
Ariel and Deborah Levy of Portland were
awarded $2.9 million this month because doctors didn’t anticipate their
four-year-old daughter’s Down syndrome. The Levys said if they had known about
the disability while their daughter was still in utero, they would have
terminated the pregnancy.
As the grandfather of an autistic young man,
this breaks my heart. After watching my daughter Emily, I understand that
raising a child with special needs is no walk in the park. But I also know the
joy of having that child in your life. My daughter would have done the right
thing no matter what. But the rich and lasting happiness Max has brought into
our lives — well, we consider it a blessing beyond description.
Of course, the Levys say they love their
daughter very much, and that they were only interested in the money so they
could better provide for her. (And we wonder why medical costs are
skyrocketing!)
But I can’t help thinking that when they said
their daughter should never have been born, they were influenced more by the
attitude of our culture toward children with disabilities than by the opinions
and experiences of other parents of “Downs” kids.
As many as 95 percent of unborn children
diagnosed with Down syndrome in this country are aborted. But according to a
recent survey conducted by Children’s Hospital in Boston and reported by MSNBC,
99 percent of adults with the disorder say they are “happy with their lives,”
and almost as many say they like who they are and how they look.
Most tellingly, four out of five parents of
Down syndrome children report that “their outlook on life [is] more positive
because of their child…”
Folks, the idea that human worth is determined
by quality of life might be the most destructive lie of our time, one that the
Nazi’s perpetrated. The kind of grim arithmetic this involves is now used to
justify disposing of those whom society deems “imperfect;” it is sickening and
an offense against the God in whose image they and we are made.
But the real scandal of the abortion rate for
Down syndrome children is borne out by the statistics. They don’t live
miserable lives, and neither do their parents!
Many of you probably remember a photo that
went viral on the internet a few months ago. It was of a six-year-old boy
holding a hand-written sign which cleverly parodied an Occupy Wall Street
slogan:
“I may not be perfect but I’m happy,” read
little Boaz Reigstad’s message. “I am God’s handiwork and I bear His image. I
am blessed. I am the 10 percent of children born with Down syndrome who
survived Roe v. Wade.”
Well, the love this little boy and the Levy’s own daughter share
with their families exposes the lie that their lives aren’t worth living — or
that there is such a thing as a “wrongful birth.”

No comments:
Post a Comment