Friday, July 16, 2010

Our Weakness

When was the last time you boasted about a weakness? It is sermon time at a Chinese church I have been attending with Zuhua and since I don’t understand enough Mandarin to gain very much – actually nothing – from the message, I usually use that time for a Bible study. The time of prayer and worship I enjoy very much, but the sermon consists of many sounds that, for me, lack meaning. That really is an amazing thing that such distinct little sounds can be packed with the meaning of language. Anyone who says that our distinct languages just happened and are not the result of intelligent design thinks differently than I do.

As I pondered about a verse I could study, a verse in 2 Corinthians 12 came to mind. It relates to a time when Paul speaks of having “a thorn in the flesh;” some health issue that made life difficult for him. He entreated the Lord three times that it would be removed from him, but the Lord said, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness” (2 Cor. 12:9). Paul’s desire was for healing, but the Lord wanted him to learn a spiritual lesson instead; a lesson that would be missed if Paul were healed. How many times has the Lord not answered your prayer because he desired that you learn a spiritual lesson?

Paul gives the Lord’s response some thought and then declares, “Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weakness, that the power of Christ may dwell in me” (2 Cor. 12:9). By living in a form of weakness resulting from the thorn, an environment is established in which the power of Christ can dwell. That power is a form of grace that gives one the ability to effectively live with the weakness. In fact, it provides you with power to live a fuller life than you could live without the thorn. It is a power that connects with the inner man (Eph. 3:16) and enables you to do all things God asks you to do (Phil. 4:13).

These weaknesses that allow power to be perfected in us come in the form of mistreatments, distresses, persecutions and difficulties (2 Cor. 12:10). As one’s life is weakened by these, God compensates by giving his strength to accomplish spiritual work bearing fruit to his glory. In our own strength we can accomplish little, but when that strength is weakened further, God can then provide his strength for us to accomplish so much more. Paul sees this and declares, “For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor. 12:10). Have you had opportunity to experience God’s power in your life? Remember, God’s ways are not man’s ways. How often have we desired to get rid of the thorn and live life in our own power when maybe it would be best that we keep the thorn and enjoy the power God wants us to experience?

I sat at the feet of my Lord during the Chinese sermon time, this Sunday morning, and listened to him. I felt my time at church was time well spent. Did you benefit by being in church this morning? If not, why not and how do you plan to change that? Remember, it is our weakness and God’s strength that is important.

No comments: