Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Great Drink

Since I am in recovery mode waiting for the huge black and blue area to disappear from my chest, I am not working on any projects that produce do-it-yourself pictures. Lacking this practical content has allowed me the opportunity to write some spiritual entries, which I enjoy doing. I was preparing to write an entry when I noticed a verse in Jeremiah that stopped me: “As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you” (Jeremiah 15:16, NET).

The context is in relationship to Jeremiah receiving word from God, but I believe there is application we can make to us. Consider words from God to us as we read or study the Bible. What do we do with those words? Do we treat them like we do when we see ourselves in the mirror? Do we notice them for the moment and pass on to something else or do we drink them in? Do we take in the word of God and make it such a part of ourselves that it affects how we live? Do we treasure his word in our hearts to such an extent that we do not sin against him (Psalm 119:11)? Does his word become a lamp to our feet and a light to our path (Psalm 119:105)?

Jeremiah said, “As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness.” How does the word of God affect you? Most translations use delight or rejoicing in place of happiness. The point being made is, if I am properly connected to the word it can produce joy within no matter what is happening on the outside. One could be facing death and the word can still produce joy in the heart, but there is a condition; “because I belong to you.”

The Bible is not an ordinary book. It is alive. It is spiritual, but to the one who is yet to be born spiritually it is much like an ordinary book. When one is born spiritually the word comes to life and it touches the heart of that one’s life. When we can call God “Father” because of our relationship with Jesus Christ, then as we drink in his words they can fill our heart with joy and delight. What level of joy and delight does God’s word give you? Is that an accurate measure of your longing to spend an eternity with God?

No comments: