Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sidewalk 2

Our goal today is to get the dry mix from the bags, one at a time, into the mixer and add the right amount of water. I always add about half the water before adding the mix. After a short mix we will dump the mix into the wheelbarrow and back the wheelbarrow out of the way. I will add half the water for the next mix by spraying it on the side of the mixer. This way the mixer is always clean. I stop the mixer and dump in a bag of mix, turn on the mixer and add the necessary water. Too little and you can't work the concrete after you pour it. Add too much and you destroy the quality of the mix. Return the wheelbarrow and dump in the second mix. Back off the wheelbarrow and add half the water for the next mix and turn off the mixer. Push the full wheelbarrow, with 160 pounds of concrete in it over to the place to dump it in the right place.

Using the scraper I push it around and work it in around the sides of the forms. Using a 2 x 4 across the sidewalk forms, I level off the concrete, working down the stones and bringing sand and cement to the surface. Back to the mixer to mix the next two bags for the next pour. We do this five times and, presto, we have done our ten feet.

That is not all there is to it. After the second pour, the first pour needs to have its surface worked with the trowel or you will never get a nice surface. You also need to start the edging process or you won't be able to work the stones in along the rounded edge. After the third pour you do this to the second pour and see how the surface of the first pour is doing. After each new pour you must attend to the earlier pours. By the fifth pour in hot weather I am at my limit and it is time to finish the work started. As I do I have some spare time so I begin to return unneeded tools to their proper places.

At just the right time I use the float and work up a swirl surface design. I do this with all my outside flatwork. It is my signature. Broom marks don't satisfy me.

I find great satisfaction in doing a good job. I try to give the same attention to my walk with the Lord. It is one thing to produce a great looking sidewalk for someone to walk on, but is my life a reflection of God's character in such a way that it draws people to the Father? It is one thing to make a sidewalk. It is another to disciple someone. One of these two will last for eternity and it is not the sidewalk.

No comments: