Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Foundation

In our last entry I mentioned a pier beam foundation design. What is that design like? First you level the area for the slab and put up the forms around the perimeter.

Then you mark the spot for all the piers and have them drilled.

The holes are pour with concrete. A trencher is brought in to trench across the tops of the piers, creating a grid for the beams.

The plumber then brings in his trencher and trenches for his pipes, which puts soil in the original trenches. When the plumber is done the foundation guys return and hand dig out their trenches and prepare to install the moisture barrier and the rebar. At each beam intersection there is a pier going down to bedrock. I designed this foundation and plumbing layout.

An inspection is required at this point and then you are ready for the concrete. This slab required 110 cubic yards or eleven trucks full. It was quite a day when we poured.

We got it done and then I had the huge job of framing the house. That was one big job for one old man, but I sure enjoyed doing it. I am ready to do another one.

That is a pier beam design and part of my life at the time.

No comments: