It was Monday morning, November 14,
2011, and I had just finished a translation session with Joy1 and Joy2 and was
asked to wait a little while and have lunch at the church. Joy1 went back up to
the fifth floor to her office to work, I talked with Joy2 about our upcoming
Love Language seminar, and then I went down to the first floor lobby to kill
some time and found five women, who were my class members, sitting around a
table cutting cloth and sewing the pieces together.
Very quickly I realized I had a blog
entry in the making and since I happen to have my camera with me I got several
pictures. Joy2 soon joined me and we started talking about what they were doing,
or maybe accomplishing?
Thanksgiving was coming and they
wanted to give some small gift to those that came to church Thanksgiving
Sunday. Considering who might take one they decided they needed to make 500
little gifts. The gift was to be a little purse, measuring about three inches
by seven inches. You can kind of get the idea from the pictures.
Two of them are shown in the above
picture. The one on the left with the little girl was given to me to give to
Connie as their thanks for letting me come to China to bless their lives with
my teaching. They said that she could give the gift to her youngest
granddaughter to play with or maybe put her new cell phone in she might get for
Christmas; cell phone for Christmas; I don’t think so!
These five gals have a big job on
their hands to produce 500 by Thanksgiving, but I have a suspicion they might
be joined by others before long. They aggressively tried to get me to pitch in
and help, but I explained that my saws and nail guns were probably the wrong
tools for the job. They just smiled and held up scissors and a needle.
There is more of a story here that I
would like to tell. I asked Joy who they planned to give this gift to. Her
answer of “Everyone who would take one” left a surprised look on my face and
caused her to ask me who I thought would like the gift. My response of preteen
girls kind of brought everything to a grinding halt. Now I was on the spot and
I started to ask some questions and quickly realized that I was dealing with a
cultural issue. I asked what their objective was that was to be supported by
giving this preteen girl gift to everyone. Her response of “We didn’t think of
that” is what caused me to realize there was something really different going
on here that I needed to understand. They asked if it was necessary to have a
reason to give a gift. Can’t you give something just because you want to give
it? To understand this I had to ask why it would be given to a man and what did
you expect he would do with it? Their response of “I don’t know. We haven’t
thought about that.” really had me thinking now. Now they started thinking and
thought the man might sense the thanksgiving spirit and give it to someone else
who might really like it. That is when a very big light turned on and they
picked up one and gave it to me and implied, “You with the western mind, take
this with our love and give it to your wife so she can give it to her
granddaughter.” I guess they wanted me to understand what they were doing and
they went back to sewing and talking and having the best time you can imagine.
Within a few minutes it was lunch time and we all sat down around the lunch
table and talked and ate and laughed and had one special time together.
Joy1 came down from the fifth floor
and joined us for lunch and afterwards she asked if I was walking home. If so
she wanted to walk with me for ten minutes and then walk back alone and take a
short nap in her office. She has had two heart operations and needs to get
plenty of rest. She has an irregular heartbeat like I do and tiredness makes it
worse. We walked and talked about our hearts and our five years of teaching
together and realized God had worked greatly in our lives and so richly blessed
us and our work.

No comments:
Post a Comment